Chapter 9

I slammed the door loudly, letting everyone in the house know I was finally emerging out of my room. The clock read seven in the evening, meaning Caden was either here or going to be here soon.

I could still hear Mom fussing about in the kitchen, Mason’s voice ringing about with hers. I made my way downstairs, stomping my foot with each step. I was in a bad mood. I wasn’t going to try and hide it.

I sat down on the couch, flipping the TV on. I crossed my arms, getting in a comfortable position. Of course, that was a little hard to do while still maintaining my anger-pose.

Just as I settled into the mind-numbing process of watching a show, the doorbell rang. I groaned loudly, hoping he heard from outside. Mom hurried over, slipping on heels as she answered the door.

She ushered Caden into our house, fixing her hair in the mirror by the door.

“Hello Caden!” She said, applying eyeliner. “Mason’s in the kitchen and I’m sure you can see where Joanna is.”

He glanced over at me, giving me a small wave. I took in a deep breath, trying to ignore him.

“She’s not in the best mood today, not that she ever is.” Mom said loud enough for me to hear.

I was tempted to give her the bird, but I knew I would get in trouble. I settled for a roll of the eyes and a pound on the wall.

“I can see.” Caden chuckled, eyes never leaving me.

“Alright well I’m running late so I’m going to hurry out.” Mom said, running back into the kitchen. Caden followed her there while I listened from my original spot. “Joanna can make dinner for you guys or there’s money on the counter for pizza. I’ll be back a little bit later, but you can leave earlier if you need to”

“I’ll stay if you want me to” He offered politely as Mom rushed back into my sight. She turned around, giving him a look of great thanks.

“You’re the best, Caden!” She said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. “Joanna, please be good.”

“I am good!” I growled “He isn’t”

She rolled her eyes, grabbing her purse as she headed to the door. With a final wave, she left, locking the door behind her.

Mason walked over to Caden, giving him a hug around the leg. Caden grinned, picking him up.

“Hey little man!” He laughed, resting my brother on his hip.

“Hey big man!” Mason grinned.

Caden set him back down, sitting on the ground, his back against the couch. He set an arm on the cushion I was laying on, fingers only a few inches from my arm. I rudely moved away from him.

“How are you, Pumpkin?” He smirked up at me.

I narrowed my eyes at him, refusing to answer.

“She’s mad” Mason said for me.

Caden laughed, “I wonder why?”

“Cause she’s always mad” Mason said smiling innocently up at me. Caden smirked, ruffling his hair.

“You got that right, little man”

I stood up, purposely making sure I didn’t have to touch Caden. He noticed when I stumbled slightly, watching me. I shot him a look, making my way to the kitchen.

I grabbed a phone, deciding for everyone that pizza was going to be dinner. I dialed the local pizza place, making an order for two large pizzas.

After tucking the money in my pocket, I reluctantly went back to the living room where the other two were.