Chapter 12

“JOANNA” Mom screamed, stumbling into the house. I caught her, supporting most of her weight.

                “Mom?” I asked “Are you ok?”

                Caden came over, putting my mom’s arm around his shoulder. I mimicked him together managing to get her to the couch.

                “I’m just a little dizzy, no worries” Mom laughed, collapsing on the couch.

                “Are you drunk?!” I frowned, crossing my arms.

                She snorted, blowing her bangs “No! Why would you think that?”

                “Its noon, Mom! You got drunk at noon?!”

                “I’m not drunk, Joanna!”

                “Yes you are!”

                “No I’m not!”

                I rolled my eyes, walking away to shut the door. Caden followed after a few awkward moments standing near my mom.

                He stopped me by the doorway “Want me to stay?”

                “No, please, just go home” I said, embarrassed at my mother.

                Caden nodded, hesitating slightly. He reached out, pulling me into a hug. I stumbled forward slightly, surprised at his sudden kindness.

                Cautiously, I wrapped my arms around him, hugging him back.

                He rested his chin atop my head, forcing me to tuck my head against him. It felt nice. It felt nice for him to hug me. Even if it was Caden, I appreciated the action.

                He pulled away, resting his hands on my shoulders. I looked at him, biting my lip.

                “I’ll be over around eight or nine tonight, ok?” He said “If you need me at all, just check your mom’s phone. My number’s in there”

                I nodded, smiling slightly “Thanks, Caden”

                He gave me a half-smile, patting my back “No problem, Pumpkin. See you in a few hours”

                He opened the door, leaving me to my mother. I knew I really shouldn’t let Jason come over since she was in this state. With a depressed sigh, I sent Jason a text telling him to not come over.

                I turned back to the living room where my mom was giggling to herself. She was trying to get Mason to come over to her. Unfortunately, Mason knew drunk-Mom too well. He stayed far away, running to me once he saw me.

                “Oh sure, run to your big sister” Mom snapped “I’m your fucking mother and you go to her

                “Mom, please don’t curse around Mason” I said hypocritically.

                She rolled her eyes at me immaturely. “You’re not the boss here, Joanna”

                I sighed, picking my little brother up. “Mom, you’re drunk”

                “I’m not drunk!” She crossed her arms, pouting

                “Don’t argue with me. I know you are”