47| tone

"NOTHING HAPPENED," I mutter.

"But something could've." Sam snips, clearly done with our repetitive argument.

"That's why I called you, that way nothing could've happened. I am fine." I reply, clicking on my phone.

"Listen, I know you're pissed but could you at least look at me while I'm talking to you?"

Closing my eyes and sighing loudly, I click my phone off and drop it into my lap. I look up at him, annoyance evident on my features. "Yes?"

"You know what, whatever Mads, I'm done trying to talk to you. You're acting like your five. Come to me when you're ready to act your age." He huffs, standing off the couch and walking to the front door, shoving his feet into his shoes.

"Whatever." I roll my eyes, hurt panging in my chest at his harsh words as I tuck my knees to my chest.

"I love you." He says, his tone very much implying his still pissed with me, pulling his jacket on. 

One thing I've got to hand to Sam is that he doesn't say goodbye, whether it be on the phone or when he leaves my house, until he  tells me he loves me, just in case something happens between then and when we see each other next.

Even when he's mad at me, which isn't often.

"I love you too." I mumble, playing with the rips on my jeans.

He shuts the door, and I wait until I hear the snow crunching as he walks down the steps to let my scowl drop, being replaced with a deep frown.

I was a bitch. I'm still a bitch.

"When Rome and I just started dating most of our arguments ended in 'fuck you' not 'I love you'. What kinda voodoo mama juju magic are you using on him?" Amelia says, walking into the living room and plopping on the couch with me.

"I'm so pissed at him." I snap, grabbing a handful of trail mix out of the bag in her lap.

"Mads, you gotta look at it from his point of view as well. Some pervert cornered you in a bathroom and acted like nothing happened, not to mention the fact he goes to the same school as you so he's around you all the time, if he wants to bring it up with the principle you've got to admit it's not a bad plan." She offers, tossing an M&M into her mouth.

"I don't want to have to start a whole thing over that. Nothing happened, I'm fine." I say around a mouthful of food, munching on it with a pout stuck to my face.

"Yeah, but still, there's a chance something could've. He's worried about you, I'd honestly be upset if he didn't react over it." She shrugs, tracing shapes into her little belly.

"Of course he's gonna react, Meelie, but he's overreacting. It's unnecessary."

"Well, you're gonna fight me on this no matter what so I say we just drop it." She says decidedly, brushing her hair out of her face, and I nod.

"Don't you two have dinner reservations tonight? Are you gonna work things out or just have a crazy awkward dinner?" She asks, and I groan, just remembering that.

"I forgot about that. That's gonna be shit." I complain, covering my face and sliding down the couch.

"Good luck, darlin'." She pecks my cheek as she stands off the couch and I roll my eyes, pushing her off.

Barely even a minute later, I feel someone plop down beside me and I look up from my hands to see Roman sitting next to me.

"Boy problems?"