8. Annabeth

Chapter 8: Annabeth

I pretended to be busy, but really all I wanted to do was talk with Will. He was my best friend in tutoring, and always knew exactly what to tell me. Plus, I was really curious about today's session with Nico. They seemed to have really hit it off.

I pretended to stack some papers and organize my backpack while Will said goodbye to Nico. As soon as he left he turned to me.

"Are we going to talk about it?" he asked.

I blushed, hoping he didn't mean what I thought. "That cute guy that was in here. The one you helped. He was super cute!" he exclaimed.

I looked at him carefully. There was something about the way he'd said it, that just seemed off. "Will..." I paused. If I asked this question, he might become angry at me, and it might ruin our friendship.

He interrupted me before I could speak. "Yeah. I know what you're thinking, and the answer is yes."

"So, you're into guys?" I asked, my voice small.

"Yeah." He looked at the door with longing.

I backtracked. "Wait a second, ... Do you like Nico?" I asked, dumfounded. All of the glances, the smiles and the teasing finally made sense. That's why he was able to get Nico to open up so quickly!

He blushed profusely and I grinned. "Yes," he looked down, embarrassed.

"Awww, that's so cute!" I squealed. "I ship it!"

He rolled his eyes. "Well, then, I ship you with Mr. Green Eyes, Annabeth."

I shook my head, but burst out laughing. "Oh my gods no!"

"You know, he was looking at you..."

"Shut up!" I interrupted. "I didn't tell you this, but..." I continued and told him the story of how he hit me in the head, and then ran off. "That's why he was looking at me," I concluded.

"I don't know, Annabeth. Keep your eye out on him," he winked.

"I will, Doc," I teased.

We left the room, together, and locked it. Unfortunately, Will's house was in the opposite direction of my own, so we had to part ways, even though I was desperate to ask him more questions of Nico.

Later, when I opened the door to my house, my phone began to bombard itself with various text messages from Piper, Thalia and others. My mother didn't allow me to turn on my mobile data, unless it was an emergency, even though my brother could use it all he wanted. I had given up on arguing the unfairness long ago.

I looked down at my phone, for the most recent text. It was from Rachel. Had a great time. We'll be at the house in 40. Can't wait to talk! the message read. My brother, on the other hand, had sent me another photo of him with Rachel. Her red hair was burning in the sun, and her freckles seemed to pop out. My brother had his arm around her waist, and they were wrapped closely together in a hug. I looked at it again, and sighed, but headed up to my room to rest. I didn't want to deal with any drama about Rachel or my brother.

I started scrolling through my Instagram feed, letting time roll by.

"Hey!" Rachel suddenly came in and plopped herself on my bed. I looked up surprised, and then back down at my phone. 6:20 Dang!! Time had passed quickly, but I supposed that was the purpose of social media.

I looked at Rachel, who was setting down some souvenirs of New York. She was also wearing a white crop top with a bunch of skyscrapers printed on it.

She caught me staring at it. "Cute, right? Jeffrey bought it for me." Her eyes turned dreamy at the mention of Jeffrey's name.

"Did anything happen between you too?" I asked carefully.

"Of course not, silly!" she looked down, and didn't meet my gaze. My suspicion rose.

"I really don't care except that I want to know whether my best friend is dating my brother," I told her.

"Half-brother," she clicked her tongue. I looked at her, confused. Half? Really? Was that even necessary?

She flipped her red hair in the air. "Wanna make dinner?" I asked her.

She laughed, but stopped when she realized I wasn't joking. "Oh, I'll watch," she decided.

We walked downstairs and my brother looked up.

"Hey," he said, looking only at her.

"Hey," she grinned and sat next to him. His eyes lit up when she did. "Whatcha doing?" she poked at his bicep.

"Looking at my phone," he laughed.

I observed them the whole night. Something was up. If touching each others' hair and fingers didn't count as flirting, I didn't know what did. But maybe it was just my paranoia. I just hoped they trusted me enough to tell me when something was going on. If Rachel was into my brother, I was happy for Jeffrey, since he had a crush on her since forever. I just hoped his heart didn't get broken.