31. Percy

Chapter 31: Percy

Seeing Annabeth with Luke angered me more than I let on. My blood seemed to be boiling. I had swam poorly after I had heard her cheer for Luke. I should have used it to my advantage, to swim harder and faster, but all I could think about while swimming was her. She was a distraction. She had made me come into fourth place. Gods, why did she even have to be here!!?

After I had created a big scene of glamorously kissing Calypso, which had fried every nerve in my body, I decided to take her on a date. Perhaps that would distract me. I didn't know where Luke was taking Annabeth, and I wanted to forget about them.

"Where do you want to go?" I asked Calypso, after the meet had ended.

"Well, your mom is out, right...?" she asked slowly.

"Tyson's at home," I corrected her, trying to avoid what she was implying. "How about a restaurant?"

She sighed. "Of course," and faked a smile.

"Great," I smiled and grabbed her hand, pulling her towards the little restaurant by the school. She pulled me back, however, waited one moment, just so that I could see her shining beauty and kissed me on the mouth.

"What's this?" I whispered, after we had separated.

"I thought you might want to forget about that Annie girl," she stroked my hair. Her voice was deep, like the growl of a tiger.

"We're in public, Sunshine." I could already see two people staring at us from the corner of my eye.

"And that's why I wanted to go home," she rolled her eyes.

I looked at her carefully. Her eyes widened, begging. "Fine," I laughed. "Let's go home and kiss, I guess."

She laughed lightly. "We can walk," she said. "That way it'll be an adventure."

We began to walk hand in hand down the street towards my house. We mostly gossiped about people back in France, but I wasn't particularly interested in the conversation.

Suddenly, she gasped. I looked at her. "Look!" she pointed across the street towards a caffe, the one I had actually been planning on taking her to.

My mom was seated at a table for two waiting patiently. "We should go spy on her!" Calypso laughed.

"But didn't you want to go home?"

"That can wait," she winked. "Now come on."

We sneaked behind the caffe, entering by the side door. I could feel my heart thumping heavily in my heart. My mom wouldn't keep a secret, would she? I felt like this was all wrong and I shouldn't be spying on her, but I was too curious. We sat down next to each other at a table for two. When we sat, we turned and faced each other. My eyes widened when I realized how close we were. She smiled and gestured for me to look at the table. I guessed our date would come later.

"Someone's sitting down at the table," whispered Calypso. We watched him sit down in front of my mom, who blushed and smiled and giggled. I frowned. The man's silhouette seemed familiar in some way, but I couldn't place him.

"Stop staring," I muttered. We looked back at our menus, which covered our faces.

"I know who he is!" Calypso shrieked quietly.

"Who?" I asked.

"He was at the swim meet. He was the clipboard man. He was also very rude to me," she frowned.

"Coach Blofis?" I asked. The silhouette did match his... I suddenly remembered at the summer meet, when my mom had been acting weird and red. And the unbuttoned shirt! That was the same day Coach had canceled practice. The pieces seemed to oddly fit. But my mother wouldn't keep a secret from me, would she?

"Well that mystery was solved," Calypso sighed. "What a boring twist."

I sighed. I was tempted to go over there and scream at her, but it would only make matters worse.

"Hey are you okay?" Calypso asked.

"I'm fine," I sighed. She rubbed her thumb on the palm of my hand.

"It might not be what it looks like, Perce."

I scoffed. "When is it ever like that?"

"Just keep an open mind for your mom," she smiled.

I realized that she was right. I had never considered the fact that my mom was probably lonely... "Thanks Sunshine. I don't know what I ever did to deserve you," I smiled.

She touched her fingertips to my chin. "You didn't have to do anything. You're already perfect."

My heart exploded and I could feel a blush creep up my neck. "Not like you," I whispered. I was a little disappointed that she didn't blush. "You're gorgeous and adorable and beautiful and funny and-"

"I get it," she whispered, moving onto my lap. "You have fallen in love with me. Now tell me something I don't know," she smirked.

"I want a brioche," I giggled, feeling delirious.

"Then let's get one," she said and kissed me once again. Her lips were soft against mine and I pulled the menu up to give us some privacy. She pulled away and giggled.

"This is a good date," I decided and kissed her again. I didn't care that I was in public, or that my mom was dating a stranger. I had everything I needed right in front of me.