36. Annabeth

Chapter 36: Annabeth

*time skip a couple of weeks*

"So where are we going?" I asked Luke, hopping into the passenger seat. Over the past couple of weeks, we had become a real couple, closer and we always tried to hang out together on the weekends.

"Well I thought that maybe it would be fun to cook something for dinner together?" he asked.

"A cooking date?" I asked, excited. "Hell yeah! Let's go."

"Okay, well I didn't know what you wanted, so we need to stop by the grocery store."

I nodded, feeling very excited. It wasn't everyday that Luke was this romantic, something that I adored, and lately he had been so busy with swim practice, I had missed him.

The grocery store was near my house, so we arrived in no time. We rushed out of the car and I went to go grab a cart. "So I'm thinking we make something with rice, or pasta," I explained.

"Those are the only two things you know how to make?" he laughed.

I rolled my eyes and pressed my index finger to my mouth. Shhh.

He burst out laughing and I quickly started giggling with him.

"Pasta sounds good," he thought aloud. "How about some spaghetti... with meatballs?"

"Very italian of us. Well, in fact, meatballs are an american tradition, not italians."

"So typical of you to dork out on me," he rolled his eyes.

"I bet you only suggested it to recreate the Lady and the Tramp scene," I teased him, grabbing a box of spaghetti.

"My knowledge is based on Disney films. You know that," he winked.

"But were you...?" I asked. I wanted to get his intentions straight, so I knew what I was dealing with.

"Are you going to be mad if I say yes?"

"I'm going to be madder if you lie," I tilted my head. Was he scared of me?

He moved closer to me. "Then yes, that was exactly what I was going for," he teased. A single speck of gold glinted in the blueness that was his eyes. I giggled lightly. He reached his hand on my cheekbone and pulled me to him.

We shared a short kiss, but it was exciting nonetheless. I was kissing a boy. In the supermarket. What madness had I absorbed?

We giggled as we separated, but before I could understand what was happening, we were sharing another one.

"You know this is probably not a good place to kiss," I mumbled. It was true, even though the supermarket was fairly empty.

"Okay," he rolled his eyes. "Hey!" his eyes glinted. "Do you want to do something crazy?"

"What?" I laughed.

He looked around us, before quickly pushing the spaghetti box towards me. "Here, quick! Put this under your jacket!"

"Luke what? No! I have money, don't worry," I laughed.

"Come on, it's just a box of spaghetti," he rolled his eyes. "You've always complained to me about wanting to be a reckless teenager. This is your chance!"

I looked around. I could feel my stomach tumbling around with him. I could tell he was persuading me and that it was too easy. "But Luke—" I hesitated.

He pressed his lips to mine and we melted for a second. "I promise nothing's going to happen."

"It doesn't feel right. Let's just go to the cashier. I'll pay, don't worry," I reassured him.

"No Beth. Look I forgot the money, because I've kind of been on a tight budget lately, with college and everything. And my mom hasn't been feeling well so I've had less time to work..." he explained.

"Luke, but you never told me," I sighed sadly.

"I didn't want to worry you," he replied sadly. I pulled him in for a hug.

"I don't mean to be rude, but what does this story have to do with dinner?"

"I'm the male, Annabeth. I'm supposed to, expected to, be the provider of the couple. I won't really feel like a couple if you buy it."

"So you want me to steal, so that your ego doesn't get injured? Gods society is so fricking messed up," I laughed.

"Annabeth, I'm not kidding. This means a lot to me."

"Why can't you pay me back?"

"Come on. Please Beth. I'll watch Nemo with you," he teased. I had told him that was my favorite movie. It wasn't though, I remembered. That day I had particularly missed someone... and I guess it had come out.

My smile faltered and Percy's smiles and smirks took over my mind. "Fine," I smiled. "But I swear if something does happen though—"

"It won't!" he reassured me.

I smiled. "Okay then," I giggled. "Let's go." I took a quick look around and I saw a flash of golden brown behind one of the shelves. I peered closer but it was only the boxes of pasta, pasta-colored. The light must have reflected strangely.

Luke intertwined his fingers in my hand, and I hid the spaghetti in my big wind-breaker jacket. It was purple and large, just like I like it. As we stepped out of the store, Luke winked at me.

"See? Nothin—"

Suddenly, alarms started to blare around us, and a red flashing light came from inside the store. I looked around in panic. This could not be happening to me. "Luke!" I shrieked. I could see his breathing quicken and his fingers tightened around mine. He looked at me with a pained expression. Then he let go and sprinted off in the parking lot. I was left stunned, standing there. "Luke!" He had left me. My breathing came out in quick bursts. He had left me. My vision blurred. Luke had run off. My world tilted. What? How? Why? My mind was running thousands of miles an hour.

"Excuse me, miss, stop right there." I turned around, and saw two men. They were tall, big and dressed in black.

"What's wrong?" I asked, my vision still blurred. This wasn't my fault. Luke had convinced me to steal the pasta. It was just pasta! What about school—Oh my gosh! I would surely be suspended. School. College. Scholarships. All of that seemed so close and it faded in less than a second.

My eyes suddenly focused on the little golden badge on one of the men's sleeves. I saw a flash of that recognizable golden-brown behind the police officers and my mind seemed to be screaming at me, my fingers shaking and then everything went dark.