39. Percy

Chapter 39: Percy

Throughout the week after Annabeth had committed theft, the school was buzzing with gossip. There were videos, all of which had gone viral, and news spread like wildfire.

I knew for a fact that Annabeth wasn't doing well. Luke was avoiding her so she sat alone at lunch, her face so white it was gray and her eyes completely dull. Sometimes I didn't even see her in class, which meant that she must have skipped it. And whenever she was in class, she always asked to go to the bathroom for long periods of time, and always returned with red-rimmed eyes. She was always hunched and her face always covered her eyes—she was trying to become invisible.

Every time I saw her a wave of regret and sadness washed over me. Her words from the other day rang endlessly in my head. I had never seen her so angry, so broken.

I tried to confront her in class, kneeling down in front of her desk and touching her arms, but she just glared at me.

"Go away Percy," she muttered.

"Annabeth come on," I whispered.

"Just go away," she sobbed. "Leave me be."

"Annabeth, please. I just want to help you," I tapped her arm. She quickly moved it out of the way.

I was walking through the halls, to my next class, in a secluded space of the school when I heard two frustrated voices.

"Luke!" the girl screamed.

My heart stopped and I moved silently towards the noise. I rounded the corner and there they were. Luke and Annabeth. Annabeth and Luke. I quickly moved out of the way and hid behind the corner, where I could still see them from the corner of my eyes.

"What do you want?" he spit out. I felt a wave of anger run through my veins.

"I don't want to be angry anymore. I don't want to scream at you," she cried.

He nodded slowly. "Speak."

"You know I should be the one that's angry, not you," she whispered.

"Not this again!" he cried, his hands in his hair.

"No Luke! Let me finish," she said, calmly. "I should be mad at you," she held her hand up. "But I'm not. I'm just disappointed in myself for making that decision and I really, really miss you. I hate that we don't talk anymore and that you avoid me in the halls. I forgive you for running when I needed you the most. I forgive you," she whispered, her cheeks dripping tears. I knew how hard it was for her to say that.

I could feel my heart breaking when I looked at her, so helpless and broken and I wanted nothing more than to go and hug her.

"I just want you back," she sighed softly. It took me a second to realize that the words weren't for me.

And then suddenly, it happened. It washed over me so quickly, I thought I'd miss it. I missed Annabeth. And I wanted her back in my life. My heart fluttered with an old feeling, the warmth spreading across my chest, and I breathed out. It felt like I was living again. My shoulders loosened and I smiled softly. For the first time in over five months, I wasn't confused and I knew what I wanted. I reminded myself that this wasn't the right time to be happy, and focused once again on their conversation.

"Annabeth, I'm sorry. I really am. But I can't hurt you again, not the way I hurt you then. To be honest, I don't know why I ran. I just did. And I regret it with every fiber in my body. But you deserve someone who makes you smile and laugh and someone who appreciates you and who isn't scared and won't run off at a small bump in the road. I can't be with you because I don't deserve you and you don't deserve me. You don't deserve me," he said softly.