34. Annabeth

Chapter 34: Annabeth

 Luke had invited me to a party this weekend, and given that I had already turned down multiple outing events with him this week because of homework, I figured I'd better go to avoid being rude.

"Hey so where are we going?" I asked, walking up to his car. It was already the evening, and the sun was beginning to set in a pallet of vibrant colors.

"Is that what you're wearing?" he wrinkled his nose. I looked down at my outfit. I was wearing a loose, long skirt and a long-sleeved grey shirt. I thought I looked okay.

"I don't even know where we're going, Luke," I sighed.

"Did I forget to mention it?" he asked.

"Yes."

"Oh," he looked confused. "We're going to Roll the Sky. It's a party with the swim team."

"Roll the Sky? Swim team?!" I echoed, my voice weak.

"Yep," he tapped his fingers on the dashboard.

"Oh," I tried not to let my sudden light-headedness get to the tone of my voice.

"Percy won't annoy you. I promise," he smiled.

"Okay fine then let's go," I smiled and opened the door to the passenger seat. I tried not to let the thought of having to change linger in my mind.

"And by the way, I was kidding before," he said, his voice thick as syrup. I knew instantly he was lying, but it was nice that he had made the effort to forgive himself.

"Thank goodness," I chuckled nervously and started screaming thinking of how awkward I was being.

"Have you ever been here?" Luke asked, as we exited the car. The ride was short and mostly silent.

"Kind of," I said, my memories deep as I remembered the last time I had come here. "Yes," I shook myself after a second and pulled myself back to reality. I'm not with Percy here now, so there's no point in thinking of him.

"Can I introduce you to my friends?" he pointed to a group of boys.

"Yeah! Sure!" As he introduced me, however, my gaze was locked on a boy and girl sitting on the couch. Her hands were tugging at his roots and he smirked before kissing deeply on the mouth. His eyes opened and I felt a pang grow in my heart. They were sea-green, bright and his cheeks were flushed like they had been the last time we were here together. His eyes met mine and I could feel the shock of seeing me here. He slowly separated himself from the kiss, before the girl, Calypso, started scolding him. He blinked rapidly and looked down at her smiling and forgetting about me.

I turned away from them and told Luke that I would grab skates for the two of us after asking his shoe size.

I stood silent as the man behind the booth brought us our skates. I tried not to let the flashes of Calypso gripping Percy so tightly annoy me too much. I couldn't deny being disappointed in him. To kiss her so openly, in public! That was shameful.

"Hey!" Luke said, coming to meet me, as I sat down on the couch.

"Here are your skates," I said, dully.

"What's wrong Annabeth? Is something not okay?"

I softened my expression. "Everything's fine," I smiled sadly.
"It was Percy kissing Calypso wasn't it?" he asked. I was like an open book and I nodded my head, because there was no point in trying to hide. "Come here," he opened his arms for an embrace. "Let's try to forget about him, hmm?"

"I'd like that," I whispered, my voice thick.

"Cool," he kissed my forehead in a friendly manner. Our kiss at the movie theater flashed before my eyes. "Now let me put your skates on you," he teased.

"I already put them on," I stuck my tongue out at him. "Now come on, I want to skate," I danced. All my sad feelings of Percy disappeared. I had come here with Luke and I intended to spend the rest of my day with him.

He smiled at my sudden burst of confidence. "Okay then," he grabbed my hand and led me towards the rink.

We skated and danced to the music. Sometimes we passed by Calypso and Percy but I was too busy laughing and twirling with Luke, even though I could detect the daggers that she sent my way. That jealous snot.

I was very proud of myself, however, because I didn't fall that often and I could do more tricks, like a twirl here or there, than last time.

On one of the loops around the rink, Calypso wiggled her fingers at me and laughed at my scowl. She grabbed Percy's hand and aggressively kissed it. I flinched. She was so possessive over him and she felt the need to remind everyone every three seconds that he was hers and entirely under her control.

"Whew, I'm tired and dizzy," Luke said, after a while.

"Honestly, I am too..." I said, grabbing the ledge near the exit. "Let's rest a bit?" He agreed with me.

In the meantime, I observed Calypso and Percy as Luke tried to explain his success at his most recent swim meets. Percy pulled her closer to him and in a graceful movement he sped up, letting go of one of her hands and used the other to pull her towards him. I gasped as I recognized the movement. Calypso smiled and she twirled into his arms and added a small leap. They both landed on their feet and everyone around them started cheering.

I could feel my heart begin to race faster. Of course Calypso had been able to do that move. I remembered how I had fallen on top of him when he had tried the same move, and I winced.

Percy smiled at Calypso and she pulled him in for a quick kiss. The lights seemed to dim and the beat of the music seemed to drop in that exact moment. My blood boiled.

"Can we go home?" I whined.

He smiled. "You know? I am so glad you asked because I'm pretty tired."

"Oh thank goodness! I thought you were going to be mad."

"Mad at you? I could never," he shook his head.

"Okay then," I whispered. We quickly took off our skates and walked towards the car together, holding hands. I didn't know what to think of our hand holding, both now and while we were skating... I had the feeling that Luke liked me, and to be frank, I wasn't sure if I felt the same. I tried to sort out my feelings throughout the car ride, so I could confront him before we reached my house.

A couple of houses before my house, I asked him to stop. "This is my house. Thank you for everything..." my voice trailed off.

"Thanks for coming," he smiled. It was dark and he hadn't realized this wasn't even my house. I didn't want my mom or Jeffrey to ask questions so that was the reason why I had lied.

He quickly exited the car and rushed to the other side, to open my door. "You're such a gentleman Luke," I giggled, my legs wobbly from skating.

"Only for the best," he teased. He smiled. "I really want to kiss you right now," he whispered.

"Then do it," I dared him.

"Maybe I will," he teased, and moved closer to me. Our lips connected and he moved his hand towards my waist. His hands dug into my hair and I closed my eyes. When he finally separated, he wore a happy smile.

"I have to go," I whispered.

"Good night Annabeth," he smiled.

"Night Luke," I moved away from him, before I realized that I was cold and he was warm, and keeping me warm. I kissed his cheek, moving back into the heat before I separated myself from him and walked to my house, wearing a happy expression.