30. Annabeth

Chapter 30: Annabeth

I looked at myself in the mirror and smiled. The dark bags under my eyes temporarily disappeared and I didn't look horrible. I didn't feel horrible. The fact is, I was really excited to go to the meet. I hadn't had a real, social interaction in ages. And yeah, Luke wasn't my first choice, but it was okay. The important thing was that I was going out to have an actual interaction with someone.

I looked down at my white and blue skirt and smoothed out the ruffles. My blue tank top matched it perfectly. I quickly applied a layer of blue eyeshadow, just to show some team spirit and grabbed a jacket.

"Bye Jeffrey!" I called out to my brother. He nodded his head. I felt like I had gotten closer to him and I was glad. In life, it was better to be allies than enemies. Plus, ever since Rachel had left a couple weeks ago, we hadn't heard much from her and he was very mopey nowadays.

I sprinted to the bus stop in sheer excitement. I really needed to get out of the house more. I leaped in and danced my way to a seat. Today was a happy day, and my happy playlist was thundering in my ears.

When I got to the school, there were a fair amount of people waiting outside to get in. I walked over to the line and waited patiently in line. Everyone around me was talking to their friends and even though I was completely alone, I was pretty happy.

"BETH!" Piper squealed and ran over to hug me.

"Pipes?!" I asked in surprise. Even she avoided me at school.

She pulled away. "Hey girl! Look," she gave me a pointed look. "I'm so sorry things have been awkward between us... I was a little busy with Jason—"

I squealed and playfully slapped her wrist.

"And I didn't know how Percy would react, but I don't care. Look, I feel super guilty. Can you forgive me?" she asked. Her apology seemed sincere, and she was telling the truth, I could feel it.

"S'long as you don't leave me again," I whispered and hugged her. For the first time in my life everything seemed to be piecing itself together.

Piper and I quickly found seats near the front because, to my surprise, all the seats in the back were taken. When Luke caught my eye, he waved. I waved back and smiled.

"Luke? Are you friends with him?" Piper asked.

"A little," I smiled.

"Be careful, okay? I heard... things..."

"I will! Don't worry, he's super nice," I gave Piper a pointed look.

"So you aren't cheering for Percy?" she asked.

"Please. That ship sailed a long time ago. He's been nothing but rude and annoying!"

"He's tried to help you, you know?" Piper pointed out. She wasn't smiling but she wasn't bashing out on me either. Her eyes were hopeful and supportive. "Do you miss him?"

"Of course I miss him," I sighed. "But he's all French now. I guess that's his type or something. And the fact is, he never even told me! He just—he forgot to tell me that he had already fallen in love once."

"I know, girl," Piper pulled my shoulder closer to her for a hug. I smiled and wiped away some stray tears. I wasn't going to cry over him anymore.

The announcer of the meet said some things over the loudspeaker but I couldn't hear him over the chaos of the noise.

"Oh no," Piper whispered.

"What?"

"Don't look now, but Ms. French Fry is walking in our direction."