12. Annabeth

Chapter 12: Annabeth

I don't know what had gotten into me. I had gone with Percy to get ice-cream! It was with his brother, but it still felt like some sort of date. Even though he insisted that he was repaying me for hitting me. My awkward, anti-social, especially with boys, self couldn't deal with it. I lied that I had homework to get to. Percy had only smiled and nodded.

I felt a little guilty for lying, but I wanted to get home to Rachel, because I felt like I was neglecting my time with her. Somehow, in the midst of the ice cream, I was able to text Rachel that I was going to be an hour late. I checked my phone.

4:30

I had actually told Rachel that I was going to be home by 5:15, but I hoped that she liked the early surprise. Especially since the last couple of days she had been extra nice and fun to me. Her snarkiness and sassiness was like a scarf, she could choose to either wear it and show it off, or not. I was glad she had decided to "take it off" when she was spending time with me. It was nice to finally feel at home.

On the bus, I was thinking of all the fun things we could do this evening, like watching a movie with popcorn, or dressing up and taking cute pictures together.

I finally reached the door to my house. I crept in, wanting to surprise Rachel. But what I found inside scarred me for life.

She was on the couch with my brother. It seemed like a movie was playing, but they weren't paying attention. They were too busy kissing each other. My brother had his arms wrapped around Rachel and she was playing with his hair. She was in his lap, posing like she was some sort of princess. She giggled and pulled him closer. The kisses began to get deeper, messier—

My heart began to race and I could tell my breath came out in short bursts. "What the actual hell?" I screamed. I could tell it was an intimate moment but I couldn't watch this anymore. Every touch, every kiss, it was a stab to my heart and pride.

Their mouths quickly separated and looked at me with a stunned look on their face. Rachel's face was pink. My brother was scratching his head. They glanced at each other.

"Oh, Annabeth, don't worry. That was —"

"It didn't mean anything, Annie," Rachel finished for him. I glared at her. Now, was not the time to go pushing my buttons. They looked at each other again and at that moment I knew I was already slipping out of their minds.

"Oh for all the gods," I cried out, frustrated.

"No! Annabeth!" Rachel called out. I didn't wait. My blood was boiling with fury. All I could think was my brother's face pressed to Rachel's

I locked myself in my room. My face was wet with tears. I didn't care that they were in a relationship, but going behind my back? That was just cruel. Especially since I would have supported them.

But, no. They just had to lie to my face every single day.

You're so stupid, Annabeth, I scolded myself. I knew it! The other day I knew something was wrong. And that's why Rachel was being so nice! How could I have been so clueless? Why didn't I trust my instinct? My gut feeling?

"Annabeth?" a shadow appeared behind the door.

"Annabeth please come out," pleaded a deeper voice.

"NO!" I yelled.

"It meant nothing," Rachel said.

"Leave me ALONE!" I screamed. The sweet, innocent Annabeth inside of me was scared. I had never gotten this angry. Other than with my mom. But even then, I never talked back to her.