23. Percy

Chapter 23: Percy

In honor of surviving our first week of school, I had invited Annabeth to come over on Friday night to watch a movie, hang out and relax. I was surprised she even said yes, having so many difficult classes and after the way I had treated her on the first day of school. However, after that first-day-incident, I had hung out with her every spare second I had, and in class we constantly looked at each other and made faces, almost as if speaking in code. After a single day, I felt like she had forgotten, and I was glad. People always say that fights make you realize what someone needs and values, and it makes you realize why you need them, and this was completely right. I had felt so guilty before and after, and I realized that Annabeth needed my support, because I could tell that she wasn't really loved at home.

I was scrolling through my phone mindlessly, when I heard the doorbell ring. I jumped up and ran to get it, but my mom stopped me before I could open the door.

"Be nice Percy," she warned, taunting me with her finger.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Just let me get the door, ma."

She smiled and patted me on the back. "Have fun on your date," she sing-sang and danced upstairs.

I was about to screech at her saying it wasn't a date, but then I realized that's exactly what she wanted. I took in a deep breath and opened the door. When I saw her, I was awestruck. Her beauty took away my voice. I couldn't breathe.

She was looking around the porch and then her eyes landed on me. "Oh! Hi Percy!"

I closed my mouth abruptly. "Hi Beth," my voice slightly wavered. I pinched myself in the back. Control Percy. "You look — stunning," I smiled.

"I know," she flipped her hair, in the most perfect flip I had ever seen, and laughed. After a couple of seconds she continued, "Are you going to let me in or do you just want to stare at me all night?" she laughed, moving a loose strand of hair out of her eyes.

"I — yeah — no —" I stuttered and moved aside. I had been in her presence for less than a minute and my cheeks had already gone nuclear.

"Nice house," she smirked, looking around.

"It doesn't top yours, I know."

"So what movie are we watching today?" she giggled, walking towards the couch.

"Well I am a gentleman, so I was going to let you choose..."

"You? A gentleman? Since when?" she teased, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Oh shut up Beth," I teased.

"You shut up, Perce," she narrowed her eyes, daring me to continue.

"Wisegirl," I playfully pushed her on the couch. Game on. She fell back and laughed, a sound that reminded me of happiness and joy and everything beautiful in life.

She faked a gasp and then retorted, "Seaweed Brain," and pulled me down with her.

We were so close, nose to nose and I could feel her breathing heavily. I breathed in a little and received a waft of lemon goodness, her hair. My heartbeat quickened and I looked deep into her eyes. She was about to tell me something but before I knew what was happening, she covered her mouth with mine and then we were kissing and the world was falling apart and my hand was in her hair and we were on my couch and my arms were trembling and my heart was beating and it wasn't perfect but with Annabeth, I didn't need perfection. She was already perfect... I was kissing a perfect girl.

"Annabeth? Mommy told me you were here!" Tyson squealed and began to run down the stairs.

His not-so-heavy thumps down the stairs made my heart jump and I fell off the couch. Annabeth covered her mouth, worried, but her eyes were sparkling.

I placed my index finger over my mouth. Shhh. She closed her eyes and nodded, understanding the message. She lifted herself from the couch and moved towards the stairway. I observed her, still on the ground. She was so beautiful—

"Here Tyson!" she called.

"MS. ANNABETH!" he squealed again. He jumped into her arms and she twirled him around.

"Tyson!" she laughed. "I missed you, you know?" she booped his nose. He burst into a fit of giggles.

As I crawled onto the ground, I cleared my throat. "Tyson, um..." I indicated for him to leave us alone.

"I know, I'll leave you two on your date," he winked, and started to move back towards the steps.

I looked back at Annabeth and smiled. "So um about before, I—"

She rolled her eyes. "Oh gods you're so infuriating," she laughed, but didn't sound particularly too annoyed.

"Well um don't girls like infuriating?" I wiggled my eyebrows.

"You're pathetic," she laughed, and moved closer to me.

"I know," I rolled my eyes.

"As you should," she laughed heartily. I laughed too and our noses bumped. I reached a hand behind her waist and kissed her. I wasn't afraid of us anymore, and not that I was afraid before, but I knew the reason why my heart beat faster around her and why I was obsessed with our every smallest touch. It was her. Her beauty, her intelligence— it was intoxicating in the most beautiful way possible. I smiled against her soft lips, and pulled her closer to me.

Tyson, of course, had to ruin everything. "PERCY AND ANNYBETH SITTING IN A TREE. K-I-S-S-I-N-G. FIRST COMES LOVE THEN COMES MARRIAGE—" We broke away from the kiss.

"TYSON," I growled.

"Sorry," he giggled and ran upstairs before I could stab him.

"I —"

"It's okay, Seaweed Brain. It would have happened either way," she giggled. "Now let's go watch that movie."

We ended up choosing to watch a Marvel movie, which involved a lot of her squealing and blushing at Peter Parker, and I had a great time, commenting on every ridiculous thing and laughing with her. School had started, and maybe that was a nightmare, but this was a daydream.

My mom eventually came downstairs and began to cook something for dinner. Suddenly the phone rang. She answered it and spent a good twenty minutes talking, replying with "yes," "of course," and "I understand." I didn't know what it was about and I was so curious.

As the credits rolled by, I looked back towards the kitchen. "Hey Ma! Who was that on the phone?"

"It was the principal. You remember Calypso?" she paused, "yeah, well she's coming here. To Manhattan. And she'll be staying with us."

Feelings of regret, betrayal and first love crashed down on me. I couldn't breathe. Calypso. My Sunshine. France. Summer. French kisses. Smiles. Love. Betrayal. Hurt. My breathing quickened. OH MY GODS. And she was coming. Here. To my house. "When?" I squeaked.

"The day after tomorrow," she replied and glanced at Annabeth. ANNABETH! Oh gods. Oh lord.

"I should probably go," she whispered.

"I—" I stammered. I wanted her to stay, but at the same time, I needed to think and reflect, and stalk her Instagram page. "Yeah," I replied meekly.

"Okay don't worry. I can tell this girl means something to you," she said bitterly. "Call me," she kissed my cheek and walked out the door. "Bye Sally!" My mother smiled weakly.

As soon as she walked out the door, I ran upstairs and went to her Instagram page. As I scrolled down the pictures, all I could think of was how beautiful she was. But — there was Annabeth. I closed my eyes and took in a deep, long breath, reliving the old, forgotten memories.