26. Annabeth

Chapter 26: Annabeth

That friend-stealing nose-up brat.

It was all her fault. Her eyes slid to mine and I know she was doing it on purpose. Before I could see the kiss develop into something bigger, I ran out of there, grabbing my backpack. As I began to run away, the tears began to stream down my face without end. My lungs rose and exhaled quickly and I stopped behind a large oak tree to catch my breath and calm myself.

I couldn't believe it. After not even two hours from our argument, he was already kissing another girl. Sure it was on the cheek, but it still felt like a stab to my pride. It felt the same way as when I found my brother kissing Rachel. But the only difference was, I didn't see how I could ever forgive Percy.

"Beth!" Percy called out. I tried to stop crying but the hiccups wouldn't stop and I kept sniffling loudly. When he found me his eyes were sad and big, but I wouldn't allow myself to fall for them again. "Annabeth, it didn't mean anything," he pleaded.

"Yeah of course it didn't," I rolled my eyes.

"It didn't," he said.

"Okay," I lied, wiping my runny nose. If he wanted to lie about his feelings, so be it. I thought that we—our friendship—was finally progressing into something more, but I guessed I was wrong. I couldn't believe I had been so foolish to actually fall for a guy.

"What's wrong?" he asked, seeking my sour expression.

"Nothing, I'm just tired," I sighed. It wasn't a lie, but that wasn't the reason why I was so upset. I couldn't believe how ignorant and selfish he was being.

"Everything good at home?"

"Fine," I lied. My stepmother kept adding more and more pressure.

"What happened?" he asked. The hair on my arms stood up reacting to a nervous energy in the air.

"Nothing."

"You sure?" he asked again, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. The moment would have made me smile and make my heart flutter any other day, but today it felt like a stab to the heart.

Suddenly I couldn't take his questions and closeness anymore. My sadness began to shift into anger. I was angry because he betrayed me, with another girl, and the only thing he could do was ASK QUESTIONS. He was being ignorant and I was so tired, that I wasn't even thinking straight anymore. "Can you just leave? I told you I'm having a hard time right now and your selfish ego can't even go a SECOND without knowing ALL of the stupid details. Be a friend for once, gods Percy," I screamed.

"I'M being inconsiderate? Hell Annabeth... I'm just trying to make you feel better!"

"Well you're not!" I screeched back. I didn't know why I was screaming but I couldn't stop myself. Everything felt like it was suffocating me. "You're just adding to the stress and pressure and I really can't deal with you anymore," I finished.

"Annabeth, please. Sit down. Tell me what's wrong."

"I don't want to, okay?"

"The kiss didn't mean anything, okay!"

I hesitated. "I feel like I'm losing you..."

"You're not, okay? You'll never lose me," he reassured me with a smile.

"But you're never around anymore, and I've never actually talked to you in ages. And if you want to spend more time with her, Percy, I totally get that," my voice broke. "But don't hurt me while doing it."

"Can't I hang out with you both?"

Why couldn't he just let her go? "That's the thing Percy. She's just going to pull you around the finger. Look at what she's doing now! She's pulling us apart."

"No, Annabeth," he corrected me. "You're the one that's destroying our friendship. And you're blaming it on her," he scowled.

"I'm not Percy!" I pleaded, tears running down my cheeks. "Please let's just hang out together, just us two, and then we can talk about it," I asked.

"No Beth," he snarled. He was so angry and it was breaking my heart. "You can destroy our friendship all you want, but I'm not letting you get in the way of my friendship with Calypso."

"Look at what she's doing to you," I said sadly. "You were never this angry... just stop talking to her, Percy. I promise everything will go back to normal," I rubbed my temple. It was a horrible solution, but it was the only one I could think of.

"No," he replied. He was suddenly looking at me in a completely different way, as if he was scared of me.

"No?" I asked. He shook my head. My heart was tearing to pieces. Shattering. "Then I guess we're done. See you around Percy." Dust.

"Bye Beth," he said in a small voice. He blew it away. I pursued my lips and ran home. No one questioned me when I entered the house and I fled upstairs to my room, sobbing and cranking up my music. I was walking across the room, to get my comfort book, when the song Mr. Brightside came on.

Because I want it all

My knees were weak and I fell to the floor.

It started out with a kiss

I started crying hysterically, the tears flowing endlessly down my cheeks.

How did it end up like this?

I curled up in a ball, hugging myself because no one else would.

It was only a kiss, it was only a kiss

And I closed my eyes.