Chapter 56

Continuation of Flashback (6 months ago):

Ahmed's POV:

"So you guys are fine with that?" I ask taken aback as Sairah and I give each other eager glances.

"Of course we are son." My dad puts a hand on my back comfortingly. I know. Crazy, right? A year ago, if you were to tell me my dad can be supportive and comforting I would've laughed in your face. But, Sairah helped him become a better person. He's even started praying regularly now. 

"Thanks, Dad." I give my dad a warm smile.

"Don't just thank me. Thank Sairah for being a blessing for our family. Hopefully, you'll be a blessing for hers too." My dad turns to Sairah's parents who return the gesture with a kind smile.

"Thank you, Zayn. It means a lot. And don't expect too much from Ahmed." She tilts her head towards me. "He's not really all that reliable."

My dad and her parents laugh at the joke and then they get up to further discuss the detail of Sairah's and my wedding.

"Did you just call me out in front of my dad?" I scoff amusedly.

"Maybe." She takes a sip of her boba drink. "Besides, it's not like I lied about anything. Not hating, just stating." She winks at me.

"Okay." I lean back in my seat. "I may not be reliable, but you're a terrible liar."

"Really?" Sairah places her drink down on the table and faces me. 

"Yea. Really." I reply flatly.

"I'll let that slide." Sairah leans closer. "Because you look really hot in that suit." She whispers leaving me shocked. Did she just- Did Sairah Bukhari actually call me hot? What? I MUST be dreaming! No way!

I turn my face to her still appalled by her words. "You look pretty-"

"HA!" Sairah leans back into her seat laughing. "Told you I was a good liar." She winks and gives me a small smirk. I don't know why but whenever she did that-- it drove me crazy. It also completely distracted me from her indirect insult.

I scoff, "so you don't think I look hot in my suit?" I shake my head sadly. "That hurts. But it's okay," I lean closer to her making my voice low, "we all know you'd like it better off anyways." I get up and give her a subtle wink and I hear her choke on her drink.

"Wha-" She gets up as well. "Nicely played. Looks like you're learning well from me."

"Is that a confirmation of what I said before?" I cross my arms over my chest smirking. "I didn't hear you deny it."

"Maybe you're right. Maybe not." She looks at me with a sly smile, "but then again, as I said. I'm a good liar." She blows me a kiss and flips her hijab.

I let out a soft laugh, "God you're quite the drama queen."

"I know. But you love that don't you." She says softly while smiling.

"Among other things." I roll my bottom lip in looking her up and down.

"Ahmed!" She giggles and she slaps my arm. "There are parents in the restaurant."

"So?" I ask unbothered. "They agree with me." 

"Uh-" Sairah raises her eyebrows at me.

"Sorry that sounds really inappropriate now that I've said it out loud."

"You think so?" Sairah asks sarcastically. "It's okay I still love you. Even though you're a little... odd."

"I'm odd now," I whine. "That's like hurting my ego. Don't use that word."