Chapter 35

Continuation of Flashback (3 years ago):

Sairah's POV: 

I adjusted my dress as I got out of the car. "Nina I hate you for dragging me here!" I pout angrily. Nina took my favorite heels and said she'll give them back if I came with her. Obviously she planned this on purpose knowing damn well Ahmed was coming, too.

"Remember Sairah," Nina points her finger at me playfully. "If you move, no shoes!" She lets out a childish giggle. "Ooh that rhymes!"

Amina and I shake our head at her laughing. "Leave it to Nina's poetic skills to lighten the mood." Amina rolls her eyes smiling.

"Oh I'm SO happy I forced you to come!" Nina cocks her head to Ahmed, Yusuf and Marco who parked across the parking lot.

"He's here, too!" I groan. I was hoping Ahmed would take a hint and just not come. But of course, Ahmed's stubborn-- and so am I.

"Are you saying that out of happiness?" Amina shoulder shoves me.

"No out of disgust." I pretend to gag. 

"So he effects you?" Nina smirks.

"Only my reflex to slap him," I sigh smiling at them mischeviously. "But, hopefully it won't come to that." 

"You're too much." Nina laughs as we walk over to the restaurant. 

As much as I tried not to look at Ahmed's annoyingly handsome face, so I gave in... eventually

He was wearing a black crew neck shirt that emphasized his muscular build. I hated to admit it, but he looked... decent. I smile to myself applauding my word choice. I look down at my shoes not wanting to stare at him too long and let him feel like I'm already falling for him-- because I'm NOT!

He needs to know I'm not those girls who will forget everything just because he decided to show up again. I won't let my guard down... not with him. Not now-- not eve-

I feel his gaze on me and my heart races. I look up and see his soft blue eyes gazing into mine. His eyes flicker to my face and by his smile I could tell he could detect my annoyed glare.

"Sairah! My favorite person in the world! How's it going?" Yusuf flashes me a bright smile.

"I'd say pleasant but we all know that's a lie." I flash Yusuf and Ahmed a sarcastic smile. "My pleasant mood is all due to the person who decided grace us with his presence-- finally." I narrow my eyes at Ahmed. 

Ahmed lets out a deep chuckle and ticks his jaw smiling. "Still use sarcasm on a daily basis?"

I raise my eyebrows at him and cross my arms over my chest. "Still use too much of people's time?" 

Ahmed steps closer, "still mad?" He crosses his arms over his chest seeming a little genuine.

I step closer with and let out a dry laugh, "still here?"

Ahmed shakes his head laughing. "Where else would I be? I can't stand a minute without your snarky comments?" He shrugs innocently. 

"You seemed to be fine without in for uh, how long was it," I put my finger on my chin innocently. "Oh yea!" I give his the fakest smile. "Nine months wasn't it? When you decided to bail?" I lace my tone with anger and as much as I wanted to hide it... I was hurt.

I see Ahmed shut his eyes tightly at my words. He opens them and his blue eyes cloud. "Sairah, you don't understand-"

"And I guess I never will. I don't think there's a way to comprehend what you did." I turn on my heels and head into the restaurant and Nina and Amina follow me.