Chapter 9

Picture of Arberdale above:

Continuation of Flashback(4 years ago):

Ahmed's POV:

I ran my fingers through my hair pacing around. What the hell had happened? She was laughing her angelic laugh and all of a sudden she collapsed. I felt anguish pulsate through me. She looked like she was in so much pain. The tears in her eyes made- made my heart-- feel like it was being twisted.

I continued pacing around. Did I do something? If I somehow caused this... No inshallah (God willing) nothing will happen to her. I prayed to God that Sairah would be okay. Ya Allah please help Sairah. Ameen.

"Mr. Badri?" Hempson croaked. I stopped pacing and rushed to her. "You can go back to class now. Sairah is fine." She remained monotonous. 

"She's okay!" Alhamdullilah!(praise be to God). I thanked God profusely. "Can't I see her before going?" I pleaded.

Hempson looked at the clock then at me then back at the closk hanging above the door. "Fine only because the last period ends in 5 minutes." She cocked her head to inside the room. "You can visit your girlfriend."

"She's not my girlfriend," I scoffed. Hempson gave me a skeptical glance.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes! She's just a friend. Our religion doesn't even permit dating." I replied defensively.

"You seem to care a lot for a friend." And with that she sat back down in her chair typing away.

I rolled my eyes at Hempson. I would argue with her but I cared more about the person inside the room than outside. 

As soon as I entered I saw a grinning Sairah. She propped herself up from the "bed"; reading a magazine. Her hijab was loosely wrapped around her head but still covered her hair. She looked so perfect. But how? Didn't she literally pass out 10 minutes ago.

"Are you done scanning me like the typical weirdo you are?" She smirked. I rolled my eyes at her pulling out a chair near her bed. "I don't know how many times I have to say this but only the first look is halal you creep." She smacked my head with her rolled up magazine playfully.

I let out a chuckle. "Only a psycho like you would act like life's normal after passing out." I pointed out earning a snarky glare from her. 

"Talk to me when your knuckles stop bleeding." She retorted leaning back on the bed.

"My knuckles are fine. But thank you for the concern." I clarified. It's true though. My knuckles were just swollen but they didn't hurt. "You, on the other hand, are not?" I was serious now. She can't just play something off like that.

"Listen Ahmed, I'm not surprised you care so much given the fact that you enjoy pestering me" she crossed her arms in front of her. "But trust me when I say I'm okay. Everything is fine."