Chapter 42

Continuation of Flashback (2 years ago):

Sairah's POV:

The car ride was awkward... for Ahmed.  I tried my best to make him feel uncomfortable-- and it worked. Was I being extra and petty? Yes. Yes of course I was! But he deserved it for being a complete jerk. He needs to understand he can't just 'pop in' on my life whenever it worked for him. What if my parents wanted me to be with someone else? What would've happened then?

I fiddle with my sleeve as Ahmed pulls into the parking lot.

"So you guys come here often?" Ahmed asks.

"Yea," I respond dryly.

"Oh well I don't recall seeing this pla-"

"Of course you haven't. It opened up a year ago. You know, the year when you decided to pack up your bags and move to New York... permanently." I say with cold eyes.

"Oh." Was all Ahmed managed to say before looking at me. "Looks like a lot has changed since then."

"Yea a lot has. The people have changed, too. They're a lot meaner." I unbuckle my seatbelt and smile fakely, "so we better hurry because no one like to play in a full lane."

My dad gets out of the car. "I'm going to go early and see if they reserved the lane for us."

"Baba no-"

My dad leaves Ahmed and I outside. I see him staring at me and it makes me feel weird. "What are you looking at?" I say in a sassy tone.

"Nothing. I'm just wondering." He replies smiling.

"Wondering?" I raise an eyebrow. "Are you wondering why my dad wants to know you-- because trust me," I laugh, "I don't."

Ahmed laughs and runs a hand through his silky brown hair. "I was actually wondering how someone can look that beautiful even when they're mad?" He says huskily while smirking.

"And you want to know what I was wondering?" I say smiling.

"No." He says flatly.

I narrow my eyes, "Well I was wondering how long it takes for someone to take a hint?" I wink.

Ahmed looks down at his shoes laughing when my dad finally comes.

"So, they reserved us a lane for 2 hours." My dad smiles then he looks at my annoyed face. "Sairah, sweetie are you okay?"

"I'm fine Baba." I say reassuringly.

"Oh I know why you're upset." My dad looks at me the turns to Ahmed smiling, "she's scared of losing to me."

"Baba. That's not-"

"Well if it makes you feel better," My dad turns to Ahmed, "you suck at bowling right."

"Well actually I'm pretty-" Ahmed starts to say.

"Yea that's good." He turns back to me. "See, you'll still beat Ahmed. He's not so hot at bowling." My dad says giving me an encouraging smile.

My dad walks in front of us and I see Ahmed look at me embarrassed.

"Ouch. Me and my bowling skills are hurt."

"My bowling skills and I." I correct flatly. "Not me. I." I roll my eyes and follow my dad.

Ahmed said something else but I drowned him out of my head.

We got our bowling shoes then headed to lane 21. My dad sat down and had Ahmed and I scavenge for the bowling balls.

I reach over to pick up a 14-pound ball when another pair of hands go on it. I immediately retract my hand.