Chapter 28

"Hello?  Thorin?  Balin?  Anyone there?"  Bofur lead the way into the mountain, followed by Filli and Killi, who were still helping me walk, and the others.  I listened for the smallest sound.  However, I got more than what I had hoped for.

"Bofur!"  Bilbo came running from one of the halls.  He skidded to a stop when he saw me.  "Skyrena?!?"  I smiled and attempted a bow.

"Alive and... Well, alive."  Bilbo blinked in disbelief before he spoke.

"Oh my...  We thought you were dead.  Thorin...  He lost it when he saw you go down!"  I swallowed hard as he shook his head.  "Either way, we have to get out of here."  I frowned.

"What do you mean?"  He leaned in and lowered his voice.

"There's something wrong with this place.  It's affecting Thorin.  He's been down there for hours, weeping, but he's been searching the treasury.  He won't eat, and he won't sleep.  Either he's gone mad with grief or..."  I pulled away from Filli and Killi, trying not to fall when I took a step.

"I have to get to him..."  Ignoring the others' shouts, I stumbled down the halls towards the treasury.  I came to a stop at the door.  Thorin, dressed in clean, all black clothes, paced through the room.  I started down the stairs, clutching the railing so I didn't fall.  I stopped at the bottom of the stairs and watched him for a bit.  As if sensing a presence, he spoke in a low, deep voice.

"It has to be here...  We have to find it."  I swallowed hard.

"Thorin...  It's me, Skyrena."  He turned, and I tried not to gasp.  His eyes were bloodshot, covered with a bit of a cloudy look, but the tenderness that always shown through when he looked at me shined dimly.

"Skyrena?"  He approached me.  He walked in short, jerking motions, like he was dead, but he seemed to have washed away any mud and soot.  He frowned a little.  "I thought you were dead..."  He reached out and took my hand.  Turning it over to examine it, he looked back up at me.  "Is it really you?"  He cupped my chin in his hand as I nodded.

"Yes, Thorin...  It's me."  He yelled out in happyness, and, grabbing me by the waist, he picked me up and started spinning around.  I laughed as I held onto his shoulders, trying not to fall.  When he finally put me down, I turned and saw the other 12 dwarves and Bilbo watching us.  Thorin placed a hand on my shoulder and beamed at them.

"Skyrena's alive!"  Those who'd gone with Thorin came over and congraduated me with pats on the back as we exchanged stories.

"Skyrena?"  I turned and saw Bilbo standing at my door.  I smiled at him.

"Hey, Bilbo."  Gathering the skirts of the common blue dress I was wearing, I walked over to greet him.  "Do you need something?"  He shook his head.

"No, actually...  Thorin requests to see you."  I swallowed hard.

"Oh..."  He frowned in response.

"Is something wrong, Skyrena?"  I shook my head and turned away.

"No, no...  Everything's fine."  I brushed off the old dress and smiled.  "Thanks, though."  He smiled at me and puffed out his chest.

"Care for an escort, my lady?"  I laughed and curtsied.

"Why, thank you, kind sir."  I let him link his arm with mine as we started down the hall to the throne room.

He was having so much fun that he actually skipped every so often.  However, when we reached the throne room, he cleared his throat as he unlinked his arm.  I followed him in and saw Thorin, dressed in something that looked similar to what his grandfather and father always wore.  Bilbo cleared his throat as he stopped in the doorway.

"I've fetched her, Thorin."  Thorin motioned for us to enter.  I swallowed hard as I followed Bilbo into the throne room.  Thorin nodded to Bilbo.

"Thank you, Master Baggins.  You may go."  Bilbo nodded and left without another word.  Thorin turned to me.  "I see you've cleaned yourself up.  You're as beautiful as ever."  I lowered my gaze, trying not to blush.

"I found that my old chambers had been left untouched.  It wasn't hard to find my old clothes."  He humphed as he started to circle me, reminding me of Lord Thraudril.  "Tell me: are you happy again?"  I frowned.

"I've always been happy, Thorin.  Whether we were camped under the stars or hiding from the rain, I've been happy.  As long as we were not fighting for our lives, I have been happy."  Thorin stopped.

"I mean, are you happier here?  In our old home?"  I swallowed hard, trying to think of my answer.

"Well, I suppose...  I mean, we're all here, and I will admit I missed how life was here, but it's not the same as before the dragon."  He nodded and continued to circle me.

"I am, now, king under the mountain..."  He ran his hand through my hair, toying with it.  "And, every king needs a queen."  I looked up and met his gaze as he stood before me.  The strange cloudiness was there, blurring the tenderness in his eyes.  "What say you?"  I swallowed hard.

"I think it's a reasonable thing to request of a woman.  I'm sure finding a wife won't be that hard."  I silently hoped he wasn't trying to ask me.  His character was constantly changing, and the cloudy look in his eyes didn't help matters any.  If anything, he frightened me.

"I don't doubt that it won't be difficult..."  He smiled a little.  "What say you to being my queen?"  In any other given situation, I would have said yes with no hesitation what so ever.  However, something didn't feel right about this.  I stood straight and lowered my gaze again.

"That is a rather large request, Thorin."  I looked back up at him.  "May I have a chance to think it over?"  Thorin bit his lip.

"Is something lacking?"  He was yelling now.  "I have waited 60 years to ask you that question!  What is missing?"  He grasped my shoulders and shook me hard.  "Tell me!"  I cried out, causing him to freeze.  He released my arms and stepped back.  I fought my tears as I rubbed the now tender spots on my arms.  "I'm sorry, Skyrena.  I didn't...  I just...  I will allow you until sunset to answer."  I nodded and ran out of the room, trying not to cry as I searched for Balin.