Chapter 31

I was fairly surprised that Thorin had left the opening in the wall so they could communicate with the world beyond.  However, I didn't say anything as he and Bard faced off.

"I'm listening..."  Bard told us everything that had happened within the last few days.  The elves were upset that we escaped and wanted us to give up the Starlight gems.  He even said that Lord Thraudril was willing to leave me alone if they got the gems.  The men of Lake Town only wanted enough to rebuild their homes.  Bard told us about how the elves and men were willing to go to war in order to get what they wanted.

"Please, Thorin.  We don't have to go to war."  I nodded in agreement with Bard.  Thorin shook his head.

"I will not part with a single piece of the treasure of my people.  Go back and tell them, if it's war they want, it's war they'll get!"  My jaw dropped as I looked between the two.

"Thorin!  You promised!"  He shook his head.

"I had to bargain for our freedom...  I shouldn't have to pay a gold coin!"  He took my hand and glared at Bard.  "Leave now..."  As he pulled me away, he ordered that the bridge be destroyed.

I found Balin in his office, crying.  I swallowed hard and knocked on the open door.

"Balin?"  He looked up and started.

"Skyrena...  I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were there."  I smiled at him and walked over.

"Why were you crying?"  He wiped his eyes and shook his head.

"It's Thorin..."  I hung my head.  "Instead of getting better, he's actually gotten worse.  Oh, Skyrena, I'm sorry.  I should have known this would happen."  I patted his shoulder, tearing up myself.

"I'm sorry, Balin.  I'm trying...  I really am, but..."  I sighed.  "I'm not making things any better, am I?"  He shook his head.

"No, it's not you!  It's the sickness...  It's gotten stronger."  He smiled at me.  "You have actually been helping him fight it, Skyrena..."  I started to speak, but I heard someone by the door.  I turned and saw Bilbo.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."  I shook my head.

"Nonsense, Bilbo.  You weren't interrupting.  Come in."  Balin smiled at Bilbo as he entered.

"What can we do for you, Master Baggins?"  Bilbo huffed and shook his head.

"I'm worried about Thorin.  He's going to war over a promise he made to the humans?"  I hung my head and shook my head.

"I've tried reasoning with him...  He won't listen."  Balin nodded.

"It's too strong.  None of us can do anything to help him."  Bilbo bit his lip.

"If he were to find the Arkenstone...?  Would it help?"  I frowned as Balin shook his head.

"No...  It would only make things worse.  I hope he never finds it."  Bilbo nodded understandingly and walked off.  I followed him into the hall and pulled him aside.

"You found it, didn't you?"  He didn't say anything at first, so I continued.  "Look, if Balin says that it's best if Thorin never gets it, then I'm with him.  However, if you have found it, you're in grave danger.  He's sworn vengence on the one who finds it and doesn't return it to him.  Please, tell me if you have so I can help you!"  He lowered his voice and nodded.

"Yes, I found it when I was facing Smaug.  I took it and have had it since.  Please, don't turn me in to Thorin."  I smiled at him.

"I won't.  I promise, Bilbo.  I will suggest you dispose of it.  I don't care how, just do it.  I'll make sure Thorin doesn't catch you."  He nodded and walked off.  I smiled and went looking for Thorin, only to find him in the armory with the others, even Balin.  He was dressed in his grandfather's armor.

"Skyrena...  Where have you been?"  I shrugged.

"Just wandering the halls."  He frowned and wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

"Afraid they'll take our treasure, are you?"  Before I could respond, he continued.  "Don't worry, my queen.  I won't let them.  Neither will the others."  He pulled me towards the armory.  "Since you can't see to stay out of trouble, I thought, maybe, you could fight beside me tomorrow?"  He held up some armor.  "Will this do?"  I smiled a little as I tapped against the metal with a finger.

"It might..."  He smiled in return.

"Try it on."  It felt a little odd to be wearing armor with a dress, but I figured my old travel clothes would be suffice in battle if it came to it.  I smiled at him as he stepped back.  "It fits..."  He looked up, and our eyes met.  "I hope we don't have to fight."  I started to respond when he looked past me.  "Master Baggins..."  I turned to see Bilbo passing in the hall.  "Come here!"  Bilbo started towards us.  "Here."  He help up some chain-mail.  "This is for you for the battle tomorrow.  It's a symbol of our friendship.  Good friends are hard to come by..."  I frowned.

"What do you mean, Thorin?"  He glanced back at the other dwarves.

"One of them has the Arkenstone and is keeping it from me."  I tried not to look at Bilbo.  "It is here, in the mountain.  And, I intend to find it."  I swallowed hard and smiled politely.

"Thorin, isn't that a bit much?  You have the mountain, all your treasure, and a queen.  Isn't that enough?"  He shook his head.

"No...  The Arkenstone is the birth right of my people.  It is mine!"  I flinched and nodded.

"Of course..."  With that, I walked off.  I almost made it to my chambers when I realized I was being followed.  Turning, I saw it was Bilbo.  "Don't do that!  You scared me!"  He bit his lip.

"Sorry, Skyrena...  Thorin's gonna kill me if he finds it, isn't he?"  I thought for a moment.  If Thorin found that it was Bilbo, he would.  If he thought something else...  I nodded.

"Yes, but not if it won't get it to him...  Dispose of it in some way, shape, or form tonight!  I will distract him.  But, you have to get rid of it."  I took off again, wondering how I would distract him.