Chapter 42: A royal Hostage

"Why are you helping me?" Hearing my own voice as if I were standing beside myself, my vision was a blurry combination of my room and another darker one. I could faintly see the silhouette of Stefan as he stood in my chambers, his kind eyes focused on me and a warm glow surrounding him.

"Your father once told me you'd be the one to save us one day." Stefan replied, his next words faint and inaudible. Just before his image was completely replaced with a void, he continued softly. "I believe in you."

It was as if I had awoken from a dream only for it to be replaced with a nightmare. I sat upright on the bed, finding out I'd be placed on a dusty bed in the middle of a dark, moist and dirty room covered in dust. As I breathed out ashes flew up all around me, only a sliver of light falling through the curtains as a cold draft went through them.

"Shit!" I cursed immediately when I saw that the sun was already halfway up, quickly jumping from the bed and towards the window only to find out that it'd be barred. Glasping my hands around the cold iron bars I tried to heat it but the same sedative still prevented me from doing so. Instead of on those barricades my eyes focused on what I could see through the windows and it made me tremble in fear and anger instantly.

Eagle's fall was ablaze. I could see Arthas's army souring through the sky, bombarding the palace and the city itself with just remnants of the shield still protecting the buildings. Even from this far away I could hear the screams. I was too late.

"Obi." His name fell off my lips as I closed my eyes, using the force bond we'd created yesterday. I could feel his presence still there but it was faint.

"He won't have long." His voice sent a shiver up my spine. His footsteps drew near, slow and calculated. "Neither will his friend." Derik continued, intertwining his hands behind his back as his eyes bore into the back of my head. "Arthas hates them most of all."

"You're lucky this sedative is still in my system, traitor." I snarled, slowly turning around to face him. "Or else you'd be just mere ashes on the ground."

"Am I, a traitor?" Derik lifted one eyebrow, his black cape flowing behind him as the draft went through it. "I'm following the man that was betrayed by your father. Anduin Fireheart broke a vow the day he attacked Arthas. Doesn't that make you the traitor, and not me?"

I scoffed, waving his words away with my hand. "I'm not here for history lessons." My eyes scanned the room for anything I could use, a weapon or some heavy object. They had clearly cleaned the room before setting me here, which made me realize they must know what I am. They must know that I am tied to Arthas, which was most likely the explanation as to why they abducted me in the first place. My only advantage was that they didn't know that I did.

"No, you're not." Derik chuckled lightly. "Arthas Blackwing wanted to negotiate with you."

"While he's attacking my city?" My eyes narrowed almost instantly. "After he'd send his right-hand man to abduct me?!"

"You best listen to him, little niece." Derik stood up straight and looked down on me. His hand went for the doorknob, grasping it tightly. "You're lucky he's even giving you this opportunity. He's your only chance."

"You're lucky I can't kill you right now, uncle." Rolling my eyes, I pushed past him, resisting the urge to stab him with the two syringes I'd collected from the storage room. They still pressed on my skin, letting me know they were there. As I walked through the halls with Derik behind me and a few other guards in front of me, I soon learned we were back in the castle of Borovia, Arthas's former home before it was burned down by Anduin.

"He's in there waiting for you." Derik pushed past me and stood in front of the two doors of the dining hall. The roof had partly caved in, black covering the remaining stones that kept the building in place. It almost looked like an explosion from the inside had caused the fire in the first place. Before opening the two massive, iron doors Derik's eyes narrowed at me threatingly. "Behave."