|Twenty eight|

The staring contest continued for more than fives minutes before Huda finally broke her gaze. She stood there utterly speechless with her hand still on the doorknob. From the looks of it,she wanted to be anywhere but here. At some point in time,this was going to happen no doubt,but she never knew it was this soon and she was in no mood for exchanging words.

With a sweet smile,she welcomed the guest in.

"How nice of you to welcome me into my house" she said with a grin plastered on her face.

Sophie pushed her aside and walked further into the house where she kept her luggage on the hallway.

She stood there stunned,she had zero to no idea on what to do,so she turned on her hills when she suddenly stopped.

"Come take this to my room"

A chuckle escaped her lips. How she so wanted to retort,but then again,she was better than this. Who was she kidding,she so badly wanted to talk back at her,and that was exactly what she did.

Mustering a very sweet smile on her bright face. "What room exactly?"

Her reply left Sophie looking astound with her jaw dropping to the ground. Speechless,she couldn't even move her mouth. What exactly was happening? Her face gave her away as she froze completely on the spot. Her reaction alone made Huda contented as she made way to the kitchen considering her husband would be back anytime soon. At first she had wanted to go to her room,but had a second thought about leaving her alone,she had to keep a close eye on her. The woman can be crazy at times,who was she kidding,the woman is crazy!

Sophie on the other hand was trying to put two and two together. Could it be...? No,it can't! Imam is not a man who can live with two wives,in fact left for him even a wife was too much. She knew him that much and he had told her several times. Even when she was misbehaving,he could have simply brought in another woman,but he didn't,so it couldn't be.
She concluded as she laughed at her assumption,it was simply funny,it couldn't be or so she tried to convince herself. He would come back,and she would know what was happening.

Moments later,Huda emerged from the kitchen holding a burner which contained a single magic coal,she sprinkled all sorts of bakhoor as she kept it near the sound system on a table and went on to turn the air conditioner on.

That explains the heat. Sophie thought.

Meanwhile she was staring and following her every movement,unable to speak,well since Huda muted her an hour ago.

Some minutes later,a honk resonated,looks like he is back. Both women anticipating his return. Immediately she heard the doorbell,she quickly walked,more like ran to the door to greet her dear husband.

"You're back" she beamed immediately he was in sight with a sleepy Maya on his arm.

He instantly knew it was not his wife,she always welcomes him with a 'Salam'. The smile on his face immediately dropped as he saw the person right before him.

"I miss you so much dear,you have no idea" she added and an attempt to hug him which he quickly dodged.

"What is happening here,Honey?" He inquired as he sighted an amused Huda standing behind her with arms folded.

"I'm equally flummoxed too,Babe. I was waiting for you to come and explain,because baka sanar da ni cewa zamu yi bakuwa ba(you never informed me about having a guest)" she responded as she collected an already sleeping Maya from him.

All this while,Sophie could not fathom what on earth was actually happening.

Honey?
Baby?
Guest?

Is this a prank of some sort.

"Imam!"

"I mean,Imam,baby..."she corrected almost about to loose her temper.

"What is happening here? I don't understand,why is she calling you babe? You-you wan- wanted me back right,here I am. I'm all yours and you're all mine. Sophie and Imam forever right?" She was trembling with tears lingering on her eyes. This cannot be happening,her world was falling apart,she loves her husband more than anything in this world.

"Look,I don't know what you are talking about-"

She immediately cut his statement.

"I heard you call that filthy thing Honey, that that piece of dirt,that imb-"

"Enough! How dare you refer to my wife with such words? Are you insane? What right do you have to step into her house and insult her?" She trembled with fear as the tears freely escaped her eyes. Never has she ever seen him this angry,he has never raised his voice at anyone,not to talk of her for that matter.

The words got stuck in her throat.

"You... of all- how can- a-... you married... the housemaid? Imam,how could you? A maid for that matter!" On cue,Huda walked down through the stairs,she stood there transfixed,watching the duo.

She was in disbelieve. She did hear rumors about her husband getting a second wife,but she never imagined it to be the housemaid, a girl that was brought in from the village,unbelievable.

"I would mind my words if I were you..."that was more or less like a threat.

"What's going on here?"Huda walked to her husband,pretending to have not heard the exchange between the both of them.

"Nothing,she was just leaving" Imam announced as Sophie looked at him in disbelief. Is this her Imam? The sweet,patient and understanding husband she had gotten married to. She believed he couldn't hurt a single fly,but here he was piercing her with heart breaking,crushing words. Well leave it to her to play the victim card.

"Listen Abu Aleena,I know you are extremely angry right now,but remember to never make a decision in such a state. She might have hurt you,but remember she is still your wife and the mother of your child. It's already late right now,if you send her out right now,where will she go to? At least let her spend the night here okay?" They stared at each other for a minute before he sighed.

"You know I love you right?" He said with a smile across his face. She simply smiled and replied with an "I know "

Sophie didn't even noticed they were gone,until they reappeared.

"Come let me show you to the guest room"she said.