|Twenty six|

As the wind outside began to tremendously blow and dust dancing to the tune of it alongside the trees,which meant one thing,it was going to rain. She looked out the window as she watched how the clouds were beginning to morph as if it would swallow the earth.Darkness covered the sky,and as she kept watching,it resembled her heart,full of darkness. How she wished the rain could wash away her sorrow.Life did not turn out as expected,in fact,it was safe to say that her life was becoming unbearable. She thought marriage with him would be her one and only key to happiness,but his mother will stop at nothing into making her life miserable. Tears rolled down her cheeks as the events of just few hours ago began to taunt her.

Just two hours ago,she had put in a lot of effort into cooking for her in-laws a sumptuous meal. Walking into her in-laws's house was terrifying for her because of her husband's mother. Slowly and gently,she made way into the living room where she greeted them with utmost respect. After that,the room fell into silence as Huda politely excused herself to the kitchen.

"Please help me with the plates and don't forget to wash the cups" she ordered the housemaid,Kandala.

Engrossed in what she was doing,she had not notice the presence of her mother in-law until she spoke.

"What's happening here? Mai haka nake gani?"

"Dama Aunty Huda ce ta kawo abinci"Kandala spoke.

"Aunty Huda ta kawo abinci?"She retorted. Huda knew she was in for some deep talk,but nonetheless she simply ducked her head as always.

"Am I paying you or Huda to cook the food in this house?"Hajiya Rakiya yelled.

"In fact,why will you bring us food ? Did we complain about hunger?" Her eyes bored into her daughter in-law in pure acrimony. She was fuming with anger and rage as always.

"Oh!the way you poisoned my son's mind is how you want to also poison I and my husband's mind ko? Ga ki mai wayo!"

Hajiya Rakiya opened the warmer which housed the food as she removed it,they all watched and waited in anticipation as to what she was going to do when suddenly,she poured the food unto Huda. Large gasp of shock and horror escaped everyone's lips as Huda was left in shame. Apart from Kandala being there,there were two other maids and Suraj's sister-in-law.

"Don't you dare think I will ever like you,the sight of you alone is unbearable and I'm just trying to tolerate you for the sake of my son,but don't think you can come and destroy my family. Now get out before I you more!"

She felt embarrassed,humiliated and useless,his was she ever going to face them again,but it was the least of her concern as she thought of what she could have done to deserve such treatment. Would she like all other women,sit and bear the pain and perhaps die of frustration,or would she make a stand and end the journey of her torture?

"NO!"she sobbed and that was when thunder struck again. How she wished the rain could wash away her sorrows. Just two months into her marriage and there is no single day she does not shed tears,tears of agony and sorrow. Maybe,her mother was right after all,but she was simply blind and fool in love.

After staring outside the window for what felt like eternity,she stood up as she removed the small towel that was tied to her head after she had washed it. Tears freely rolled down her eyes as she stared back that her reflection in the mirror. She had drastically changed,there were dark eye bags under her eyes,her nose was puffed as always as her face was adorned in pink due to crying. She was deep in her thoughts when she felt two arms wrapped around her.

"What happened to my babygirl?"  He murmured as he nuzzled his nose into crook of her neck.

She jolted away in horror as she tried to wipe away the tears on her face.

"Wh-when did you come back? Have you freshened up? Should I bring your food to the room? How was work?"

Suraj stared at his wife as he calculated each and every movement of hers. No doubt,he sure knew that her mood had a connection with his mother.

"Woah! Madam,easy there"

"What's wrong,you seem flustered. Did anything happen while I was away?"

She ducked her hard trying to come up with an excuse.

"It's nothing,my head is just aching that's all" she masked it up with a smile.

Suraj simply smiled as he looked at her,the kind of look that spelt out love and care. He wiped her tears with his hands as he caressed her cheeks. Sometimes he felt as if he did not deserve her,he always feels the urge to protect like as she was some fragile egg hidden within it shell. And he knew as a husband,he had failed her,but he was going to make sure he made up for all the times his mother had caused her pain.

"If you say so" he shrugged not wanting to dwell into the matter. He knew one way or the other he will surely find out about what happened.

"Also,lest I forget,Ali was wondering if you could make it for dinner tomorrow?"

"Okay" she simply nodded.

He watched her exit the room as his eyes lingered on the door. Ever since they got married,he knows his mother has been nothing but a living hell for his wife,and whatever had transpired between the both of them,he was going to find out.