Chapter 28: Evacuated

A few hours passed. Jimmy and Squirps were now within the state lines of Washington D.C.

"According to the map, the White House should come into view in only a couple of miles. I damn-well hope that this works. I mean, we still haven't gotten news of any such White House attack, so methinks the president should still be safe."

"Just spitballing here, but what if we, well, 'fail' in protecting the president?" Jimmy asked.

"Then we are still going to have to look for Zayne. We want the president safe, yes, but as long as Zayne is alive, the government won't be."

"How will we find him then?"

"The old-fashioned way."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A couple of minutes passed by, and Squirps had a visual on the White House at last. He slowed the thrusters and equipped the landing gear.

The lawn surrounding the house was of a very sharp green color, indicating that it was well-cared for. Squirps slowly lowered the ship onto the grass within a very wide-spread fraction of the lawn.

Once the ship was on the ground, he put on the suit, equipped the gun, and opened-up the pod. "Damn, I was expecting there to be more people... I think we should go look for somebody to talk to, how about you?"

"Whatever you believe to be the best choice." Jimmy replied. "Should we split up?"

"We probably should, shouldn't we?" Squirps explained right before hearing some sort of mumbling from behind. "Did you hear that?"

Jimmy paused and looked around. He didn't hear anything. "What did it sound like?"

"Like some sort of..." A wounded man then crawled up to them from a bush before Squirps could finish his sentence, "mumbling."

The man's lower-half was covered in blood, and one of his legs appeared to be heavily injured. "Help me..." he weakly muttered from his mouth before coughing.

"What happened?" Jimmy asked him.

"My hip. Was torn apart."

"By what?" Jimmy kept interrogating him, and he was determined to keep doing so until solid answers presented themselves.

"I was slashed. A sword." The man was clearly having much trouble even speaking, so he more-or-less lacked understanding in his words.

Jimmy turned towards Squirps, "Do you think this was Zayne's doing?"

"Probably. What did you attacker look like?"

"I could not see. His face. He was brown." The man finally spat-out before succumbing to blood-loss and collapsing to the ground.

Jimmy kneeled down beside his body, "This sounds a lot like our guy."

"I concur."

"But we still don't know where he is."

"Then we need to look harder. Come on; there is nobody else here."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They walked around the edge of the house until they came to the front-most part of the lawn. There were a ton of people there, and some ambulances were visible. Jimmy and Squirps moved deeper into the crowd until they spotted a security officer.

"Hey!" Jimmy yelled out to the guard from within the crowd, hoping that his voice was loud-enough to be heard in the midst of the rifraf. He got closer, "Mr. security guard!"

The officer turned around, "What do you want?"

"What the hell happened here!? I just saw a man die over that way!"

"There was an attack. Someone unknown invaded the property and killed some of our workers."

"Where is the president? I need to see him!"

"We airlifted him out of here. He was apparently the murderer's primary target; but we would have gotten him to safety even if that was not the case."

"Where did you take him?"

"I cannot give you that information."

"Please!"

"I am sorry about that." The security guard said before he ditched Jimmy and walked away.

"So we do know, to say the least, that he was taken away by a helicopter. The only question now is where it took him because we can pretty much confirm now that the attacker was probably Zayne." Squirps explained to Jimmy. "We need to get into the White House. The president must have valuable information on his whereabouts in his office."

"But what about security, dude? You, yourself, told me that getting into the physical house is out of the question.

"With what is happening out here, I doubt that they are going to be focused on anything else. Come on, let's go." Squirps said to Jimmy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was absolutely nobody in the White House, as they were all outside investigating the murders. Jimmy and Squirps made their way to the president's office, which was shown in plain-sight, as its door was wide open.

"So, this is the president's office, huh? How nice." Jimmy said as he admired the elegance of the room with the sunlight shining inward through the giant, curved window. He then walked over to the back of the big desk and opened a drawer. "Would this 'information' you are speaking of be in one of these drawers here?"

"Most likely. If it is not on top of the desk itself, then the only other logical place to look is inside the desk somewhere. But if we don't find anything of interest to us, then we could be in a huge pickle for the time-being." Squirps began examining underneath the desk.

"By saying that, I assume you are implying that we are just to keep looking, right?"

"Yes sireee."

Jimmy gave a small look of disgust. "Then we better damn-well find something useful. ANYTHING of any use would be terrific right now."

Squirps fished-around in the desk for a little while longer before erupting from the big, long drawer at the front of the desk, "Whoop de doo! Look what I got!" Squirps yelled excitedly as he lifted up a sheet of paper from the interior of one of the desk's drawers.

"What is it?"

"It has info on where the president evacuated to. And by the looks of it... he is at one of his mansions."

"Where is it?"

Squirps then turned to Jimmy, "We are going need to go back to the mountains near your home."