Chapter 5: Becoming Friends

Jimmy awoke the next morning. In spite of how he felt after the night before, he got out of bed feeling refreshed, put on the same shirt and shorts from yesterday, and walked down the stairs just like any typical morning.

He had the same thing to eat as the previous morning: orange juice and Cheerios, only this time he was in no rush because it was Saturday, and his mom was not yelling at him to get ready for school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When breakfast was over, he sat on the couch for a few minutes and thought about what had happened the night before. This is the reason of his uncertainty; he was still guilty about his fight the previous day, and at the same time did not know how he would apologize to Russell for breaking his leg. So he took initiative and made the choice to go see Russell at his house, assuming that he had already left the hospital.

Without hesitation, he walked out and did not even think about telling his mom that he was leaving, because he knew that she usually slept-in late if she did not need to get up early.

As he was walking, he saw Tommy shooting hoops outside of his house.

"Hey dude!" Jimmy yelled at his friend.

"Oh, hey." Tommy said. "How do you feel now?"

"Better, but still a little bit like shit. I didn't even mean to beat him down, it just sort of 'happened'... I don't know why, or how, but it happened. And you know what's weirder than that? I actually felt like I was physically ill right after I left the park and talked to you about it. I still have no idea what happened to me."

"That's odd. Were you just angry at yourself? Because a sick feeling can always come from that. Or any negative feelings or emotions to be honest."

"I was angry and scared."

"Well I can tell you that a sudden feeling of power and positivity probably came from your esteem, you know, creaming him and all. But for your regrets, I am not sure. Have you talked to Russell yet? That might help."

"No, not yet. But I was actually going to his house right now to apologize; I just so happened to find you here. I hope he understands that I was just defending myself and that he did it to himself." Jimmy paused for a moment and then continued on, "Well I will talk to you later; I am going to his house now."

"Bye." Tommy said. "I hope all goes well! Remember what I said: it is all about your feelings."

After Tommy turned to start shooting baskets again, Jimmy started walking again, this time to go see Russell.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within a few minutes, he finally made it to Russell's house. He rang the doorbell, and his mom answered the door.

"Hello. Who are you?" She asked him.

"I am the kid who broke Russell's leg last night. I was just coming to apologize."

"Oh, OK. He is right in here." She replied as she led him inside. He was surprised that she wasn't angry.

He came into Russell's room, where he was sitting on his bed in a cast on his leg watching TV.

"Oh, hey. Uh, w... what are you doing here, Jimmy?" He asked. It seems that he has gained a complete change of heart since the previous night, probably due to the fact that he was now outmatched after years of being the bigger kid.

"I was just coming to apologize for what I did. I didn't mean you any harm; I was just defending myself and I sort of lashed out. And for that, I am deeply sorry for all of this."

"Oh, well thank you then. I was told to tell you that I am sorry for my actions as well. I kind of attacked you both times, and you didn't really do anything wrong in the first place. I am sorry for that; you really shouldn't be the one coming here, because I did this to myself."

"Thank you." Jimmy said happily as he started cracking his knuckles. "So you aren't angry at me? Like at all?"

"No, I guess not. The fact that you came here so that you could see me and check on me means a lot. You are not a jerk; I just didn't really like you before. But now that you have done this, I am glad. Thank you very much for that."

"You're welcome. I don't know what got into me, but I did not intentionally try to attack you in the first place, just so you know.

Does it hurt?"

"What? My leg?"

Jimmy nodded his head, "Yea, of course."

"Well of course it does; not as much as when it actually snapped, however. As long as I do not move it too much, it is no big deal."

After a long conversation, it seems that the two finally became good friends. So at least that issue was out of the way, and at least now Jimmy will get his undivided respect from Russell from now on and vice-versa.

Jimmy left Russell's house and decided to go back home so that he could relax a little bit longer, which is one way that he enjoyed his Saturdays.