• twelve •

minghao wasn't as warm as he used to be. it was something small but jun couldn't help but notice it as minghao often laid in his arms now. he had lost a bit more weight despite trying to eat more and when he walked up the stairs to his apartment he always had to stop in the middle to catch it breath. jun was watching his flower wilt and die right in front of him, he hated it.

"are you still cold? i can get a blanket," jun asked and minghao nodded. jun reached beside the couch and grabbed a blanket and placed it over himself and the cold boy.

"t-this suc-sucks.." minghao mumbled into jun's chest and jun frowned and stroked his hair.

"it's not too bad, we still have each other." jun said softly and minghao scoffed and looked up to him. his face was so pale and his eyes were sunken in.

"yeah w-we only have each other for a week. w-what happens th-then? i'm gone w-without you.. i don't wanna b-be a-alone .. i d-don't wanna l-leave you.." minghao started off strong but he crumbled. he sobbed as he choked out the words and jun just bit down on his lower lip before pulling the boy back into his chest.

"i-i'm sorry baby," jun said softly and minghao just cried. jun didn't know what to say, minghao was right. after he passed jun would go back to being a bloodthirsty killer, he wouldn't feel this sense of humanity any more.

"i'll stay by your side until the last second, i swear." jun promised and minghao just kept crying. it was the second time jun had seen him cry over his demise and this time hurt more than the last. maybe it was because he could feel minghao's bones and teeth chattering as he held him or because he knew that minghao was actually dying.

"breathe bub," jun soothed as he rubbed his back and minghao's sobs slowly turned to soft breaths. minghao didn't want to die. he wanted to be with jun forever.

"sleep, you need rest." jun whispered as the boy didn't fight it. he just fell asleep in jun's arms as the clock ticked by, jun hated that damned clock.

seven days, fifteen hours, two seconds.

minghao woke up in bed alone, as per usual. jun had a habit of getting up early to make breakfast and so when he left minghao in bed he'd tuck him in tightly, which always took minghao at least three minutes to get out of the blanket swaddling. as minghao wiggled out of the blankets the door clicked open and jun stepped in with a plate and his usual cat apron on.

"good morning petal!" jun chimed and minghao's face flushed a bit at the pet name petal.

"p-petal?" minghao asked and jun smiled at his flustered face. it was nice seeing color on his usual pale cheeks.

"mhm! do you like it?" jun asked and minghao shyly nodded. jun found him adorable whenever he got flustered and he loved it even more when he was the cause.

"i made breakfast. you eat while i go prepare something, okay?" jun said as he handed minghao the plate. minghao took the plate but looked to him confused.

"prepare what?" minghao asked and jun just grinned and ruffled his hair.

"something for us to do today," jun said as he headed for the bedroom door and minghao just grinned slightly and glanced down at the food. he really did not want to eat but he did so that jun wouldn't worry.

minghao took slow and small bites, he was practically forcing himself to eat at this point. as minghao took another bite he felt his stomach kick and his throat burn as he dashed for the bathroom. minghao stumbled into the bathroom, catching jun's attention immediately, and released his vomit into the toilet. jun walked in behind him and frowned before walking back out and grabbing a blanket and some water. minghao threw up again and jun gently placed a blanket around him and put the glass of water down beside him.

jun sat down next to minghao and gently stroked his back. with every growing day there was something else that only reminded them more that minghao was dying and he didn't have much time left. minghao looked over to him with tired eyes and mustered up a small grin, it pained jun's heart to see him like that.

"d-did i mess u-up the plans for t-today?" minghao asked and jun shook his head and gently held the boy in his arms.

"my plans were mario kart in a blanket fort.. you didn't ruin anything," jun reassured and minghao chuckled.

"that sounds wonderful.." minghao trailed off as he began to feel sleepy again. jun rubbed soothing motions on his back and felt the boy doze off in his arms.

jun looked down at the boy and picked him up off of the bathroom floor. he carried him to where the blanket fort was and laid him down gently then cuddled up beside him. they felt safe in that small slightly suffocating blanket fort, as if it were a place of their own. jun held the sleeping minghao in his arms as he was lost in thought. he had wished that when minghao was going to pass it would be peaceful and easy but fate had other plans. minghao was deteriorating right in front of him and there was nothing he could do.

jun laid there thinking of any possible way to stop this or break the deal but he couldn't think of anything but him or minghao dying. jun thought of finding a way to die for a split second but the more he thought about it the more he despised the idea. he would leave minghao alone and minghao's original death sentence would be apparent then he would just die in a few weeks anyway. jun sighed and looked back down to the sleeping boy.

"i'm so selfish,"

six days, twenty hours, eight seconds.

• author's notes •

two days in one chap !! im trying not to rush but im finding it harder to write a 1000+ word chap for just one day especially when minghao is getting worse and can't do much so i might be putting 2 days into one chapter for a couple more chapters except for the last chapter i think will be the last day they spend together will be a 1000+ chap by itself.

thank you for reading i hope you enjoyed !!

-lilly