• nine •

the next morning when minghao woke up in jun's arms it seemed different. it was warmer. maybe it was because minghao knew he would lose this warmth soon or because he had finally excepted that he wanted something more from jun than just platonic love, possibly it was both. either way jun's grasp on him was tighter and warmer. minghao glanced up to see the demon fast asleep, did demons have to sleep or did he do it to make minghao feel normal? minghao just let out a sigh and nuzzled his face back into jun's chest. jun's hand moved from minghao's waist to his hair and began to gently stroke it and twirl it between his fingers.

"something bothering you bub?" jun asked and minghao shook his head. he must've woken up when minghao put his face back into his chest. jun let out a defeated sigh as he didn't want to bug minghao about it he just continued to run his hands through his hair.

"your hair is really soft, i wish i would've noticed sooner so i could've played with it more." jun said softly and while the statement was sweet it sort of left a pang in minghao's chest.

minghao wished he had noticed a lot of things sooner, like jun's scent or how warm his hugs were or how nice it felt to have someone to love. minghao suddenly squeezed onto jun tighter as he felt his eyes sting and well up with tears. he didn't want to cry, he didn't want to seem weak. jun wasn't sure what was wrong but he removed his fingers from minghao's hair as the boy laid his head into jun's neck. jun held the boy tightly as he felt his back shake as it rose as if he was crying.

"baby? are you crying?" jun asked allowing the pet name to roll off of his tongue easily. minghao couldn't even enjoy it as his chest began to hurt and the tears fell from his eyes down his cheeks. he was dying and he couldn't stop it.

"i've got you, you're safe." jun said softly as he heard a muffled sob and he rubbed soothing motions onto minghao's back. the boy had been so strong and hadn't shed a single tear since finding out about his oncoming death but no one could handle a burden like that for long.

"i'm sorry for doing this to you.." jun whispered as he felt his heart clench and his throat choke up. jun wished he had never come into minghao's life, he wished he had never been summoned, he wished they never made a deal, he wished that minghao could live a happy long life. minghao just cried in jun's arms and clenched onto him, jun continued to rub his back.

"d-don't let m-me g-go," minghao said with his voice muffled and jun bit on his lower lip refusing any tears to well up and fall. he hadn't heard minghao's voice like that ever.

"i'll never let you go," jun replied as his heart practically shattered. this was worse than anything else he had endured in his hundreds of years alive.

minghao fell asleep again as he had cried all of his energy out. jun slightly separated himself from minghao and dried whatever tears were left on his sleeping face. jun wanted to take every ounce of pain from minghao and take it himself, he couldn't bare seeing him like this. upon jun moving away to wipe his tears minghao's face scrunched as he reached for jun and grasp onto his shirt. jun grinned and pulled minghao back into his arms. even if it was simple moments of laying in bed with minghao doing absolutely nothing jun treasured it. he didn't want to spend a second apart from him.

they laid like that for hours. with minghao cuddled up to jun's chest and with jun's arms securely around the boy and the sun peeking through the curtains illuminating the room a bit. jun even kept the curtains adjusted so they wouldn't bug minghao's rest. as he laid there with the sleeping boy in his arms he began to chuckle as he thought of how his demon brothers and sisters would laugh and make fun of him for being such a softy when he was known as the brutal demon from the depths of hell. jun somewhat wished he could take minghao to meet his family, they were demons but good people. they'd make fun of jun for loving him so much but then they'd meet him and understand. minghao just seemed to have that sort of affect.

"mmn.." minghao mumbled as he rubbed his eyes and began to wake up. jun snapped out of his thoughts and looked down to him.

"morning sleeping beauty," jun teased as he used the familiar line and minghao stared to him with his sleepy eyes as he rolled them. jun smiled.

"i'm really going to end you if you call me sleeping beauty again," minghao mumbled with his sleepy voice and jun chuckled.

"do you want something to eat? i'd say breakfast or lunch but it's almost one.." jun said as he glanced over the clock on the bedside table and minghao's eyes slightly widened.

"one? jesus- why didn't you wake me sooner?" minghao asked and jun grinned as he recalled the cuteness of sleeping minghao.

"you look really cute when you sleep and you cling to me like a baby koala.. it's just too precious to wake you," jun cooed and minghao rolled his eyes at the sweetness.

"for a demon you're awfully soft," minghao teased and jun pouted. minghao leaned up and pressed a kiss to his lips gently.

"it's cute," minghao said softly and jun smirked.

"you started this," jun said before flipping on top of minghao and showering him in kisses. he pressed them all over his face and neck, even leaving some on his ears, while ticking his sides. minghao laughed and giggled as he tried to push jun off but he was too weak from laughing. jun adored that smile and laugh, it was truly music.

eleven days, four hours, fifty five seconds.

• author's notes •

pls don't think too hard into the accuracy of the counting down bc i know its not very accurate im just sort of making each day a chapter yknow .. also i rlly hope everyone is enjoying reading even tho this book has a very sad undertone but so far the ending i have in mind is super super sad.. its sort of bittersweet

also thank you for 1k?? i don't think i said that .. i know i have 1k+ on most of my books which im v v grateful for but hitting it on this book just sort of hit different i guess? starting this book i tried something different from the plot to altering my writing style to be more relaxed and while theres a chapter or two i should probably check over and rewrite a bit i dont really feel the need to like i do with my other books. i'm really proud of this book and i'm glad all of you like it too.

thank you for reading, i hope you enjoyed!

-lilly <3