Chapter 52: Fantastic Dirty Texter

"Kiana, what's wrong?" Lexi asked immediately upon seeing me sitting slumped at a table at a random coffee chain place, a large half empty coffee in front of me. I'd decided to cancel on us doing self defense because I was way beyond tired to bother with any kind of physical activity, so we were going to attempt to just sit and chill again instead. Would it work? Probably not. But so long as I got to sit down, I was happy. "Don't tell me you're starting to deteriorate again, I'll kill--"

"Relax, it's not that," I said with a big yawn, distorting my words and making my eyes water. "I had a late night and worked early this morning with a double shift."

"You need to sleep," she said, jumping from murderous to protective in a split second. "You need to take better care of yourself, if not you'll-"

"I know," I said impatiently, rubbing my eyes. "Like I said, it was a late night. I wasn't planning on it, it just happened."

"What happened? Did you work late?"

"No," I said, dropping my chin back onto my folded arms. Gotta keep a poker face. She could not know.

"Then? What was it? What was so worth making yourself more vulnerable to falling apart for?"

Oh look, the blush was back. And with a vengeance.

"Oh my God, what happened last night?" she asked, equal parts pissed and intrigued.

"Nothing!"

"Yeah, right. You look absolutely exhausted but you're redder than a prostitution light. Did you get laid? Did you go out with that coffee shop girl!?"

"NO!" I practically yelled, particularly as the memories of that particular event also came screaming back. "Would you SHH? Blade will be here any minute."

"No, he won't. He got held up so he's going to be a bit late," she said, plopping into her chair and scooting closer. "Now spill."

"Excuse me? Why didn't he tell me that?" I said, irritated by this tidbit of information. I got zero sleep, worked a long ass morning shift, and I still dragged my ass here early and he had the audacity to be late? And not even tell me himself?

"Uh hello? Why do you think? Who cares anyway? Tell me before he gets here."

I care, I thought, but then decided no, actually, I didn't. He didn't care enough to tell me himself that he'd be late or to try and be on time, then I wouldn't care about the snub or the reason. 

"Fine. But you can't breathe a word of this to anyone, got it?" I'd failed at keeping a poker face and there was no way she'd let this go, as much as I didn't want to tell her it would be so much more annoying if I stayed quiet and had her pester me all night, particularly if it continued once Blade arrived. That would be way worse. 

Her eyes lit up. "That's my favorite kind of news."

Oh God. Maybe this was a mistake...but if I backed out now Lexi would never let me live it down and she would find some way to torture it out of me for sure and I was too tired to defend myself.

"Um--right---" I sipped my coffee. It wasn't doing anything except make my heart race faster and my hands shake. "So last night Ace and I were hanging out and we were talking in his car for a while and--"

"--and what?" she asked, eyebrows pulling down as she studied me, eyes narrowed. Her excitement had quickly turned to suspicion. Shit.

"We kind of...kissed?"

"I'm sorry, what?" But by the way her face changed to anger, I knew she had heard me loud and clear.

"Uh--"