Chapter 24: Et Tu, Katie?

"Ace! Hi!" Katie said, a wide smile on her face. She may not have known Ace very well, only briefly meeting him on a few occasions, but she had heard me talk about him enough and quickly warmed up to his charming and outgoing personality. Much like Lexi, he was so social that he had easily pulled her out of her shell.

"Hi, I hope I'm not intruding on your fun," he said, smiling back at her. 

"Not at all, can I get you something to drink?" 

"Well, if you're offering--" 

I elbowed him as hard as I dared in the ribs, shooting him a pointed look, and he laughed. "Water is fine. Thanks." As she bustled to the kitchen he bent slightly to my ear. "Don't worry so much, darling. I was only joking."

"Uh-huh," I said, knocking him with my hip. "So what brings you by for a surprise visit? Did you miss me imposing on you that much already?"

"Unfortunately for your ego, no. I'm here on a mission actually."

"Oh? What kind of mission?" Katie asked, handing him a glass of water.

"I'm so glad you asked," he said, slinging his free arm around her shoulders and leading her to the kitchen, hooking one foot around the leg of a chair and gesturing for her to sit. I rolled my eyes at him and took the other chair, drumming my fingers along the table. "As you may have heard, our dearest friend Lexi is hosting a ball and Kiana here was invited. And someone wasn't very happy about getting rejected."

Oh no. "She didn't." 

He grinned at me. "Oh, but she did. I've been sent to change your mind. Although, she also mentioned that I wasn't supposed to tell you she was sending me or that she was behind all this, but I think it's important to communicate openly with friends, don't you?"

"And here I thought she was going to drop this." I had gotten off too easy last night, I should have known it was a trap.

"I can't believe you honestly thought that. Have you met her? Ever?" he asked, leaning against the counter, sipping his water. 

Katie giggled. "She can be pretty firm when she wants to be, Kiana."

The fact that Katie and Lexi get along so well will always boggle my mind, even if I found it sweet. 

"That is quite an understatement," Ace said, "You should just come and save yourself from whatever trouble Lexi will cause if you don't."

"I think I'll take my chances." I was not going to play this game with her. Even if she had the most brilliant plan in the world, or thought she was doing what was best for us, I just couldn't stop thinking how things would only get worse if I went. Blade had yet to contact me, yet to reach out in any way at all, and showing up like that was bound to upset him more, assuming he even showed up at all. 

"Katie, do you mind if I borrow Kiana for a few minutes? I think we need to have a little heart to heart in private."

"Go ahead," she said, waving her hand.

"Hey! You're supposed to be on my side!" Et tu, Katie?

"I am on your side, Kiana. That's why I think maybe you're making a mistake by not going?" she said, suddenly quieter and hesitant, but ploughing on nonetheless. "Maybe it's not a bad idea to show up, even if you don't stay long."

They both stared me down and finally I cracked, standing up and heading for the door. "Fine! Come on. Make your pitch and then I'll decide," I said, stepping out into the hall. Ace said a hasty goodbye and followed me out, just barely managing to hop onto the elevator before the doors slid shut.