Chapter 58: Threesome

"I'm beginning to regret this!" Mick cried, hanging onto the wall for deal life, his legs slipping under him to the point where it looked like he was trying to crawl up the wall like some sort of panicked insect.

Mick was the mastermind behind this particularly hairbrained idea that we should all hit the roller disco, as a 'fun outing!' for the group. But so far, he seemed to be having the least amount of fun and it had only been a few minutes since he strapped his skates on.

"Too late now," Noah snickered, standing perfectly normal in his skates, Katie clinging to his arm, looking a little uncertain with her legs placed wide, toes pointed in, but at least she was standing.

"Somebody help me!" Mick moaned, desperately running in place, practically half lying down, trying to get his grip.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming," Ace said, gliding over with ease, spinning to a stop. He dropped one toe stop and pulled Mick to his feet in one swift motion, where he stood perfectly still, legs far too wide apart, arms spread like he was trying to be an airplane.

"Thank you," Mick said, moving only his eyes to look at Ace, as if afraid the slightest shift would have him tumbling down.

"No problem," Ace said, clapping him on the back. Mick rolled forward, arms flailing in fear, and Ace had to grab him by the back of the shirt to keep him from falling on his ass when his legs slid forward a little too far.

"Wow Mick, it's impressive how bad you are," Jill remarked drily, standing perfectly poised and balanced, like she did this every day. Leah, lacking a bit of her confidence, was still steady next to her.

"Shut up, not all of us are naturally gifted!" he whined, clinging to Ace's arm tightly.

"I figured skated as a child," she said, arms folded. "This wasn't natural anything, it was blood, sweat and tears."

"I thought you didn't like sports?" I asked, still not having gotten up from my chair. I hadn't been on any kind of skate since I was a kid and I doubted it would go any better than Mick, and I wasn't prepared for the teasing that would come when I ended up like him. This was going to be the skateboarding incident all over again, only with less blood and way more witnesses.

"I don't. My parents forced me into it and only let me quit once I put up enough of a tantrum that they gave up," she said. "Anyway, since I plan to actually skate today, I'm going to hit the floor. If I get stuck waiting for him to figure out how to stay upright it'll be next year."

With that, she took Leah by the hand and the two of them rolled away to join the crowd of people going round and round and I quickly lost sight of them in all the skaters and strobe lights.

"Are you good?" Noah asked me, the first to notice I was done lacing up and hadn't moved yet.

"Yup, just uh...getting used to the feeling," I said, clicking my toes together.

"You're not scared, are you?" Ace asked, eyes lighting up at the very idea, though he had to catch Mick a second later when he stumbled forward. Though by the way Mick eyed Ace's flexing arms, I was beginning to wonder how much of his flailing was true and how much was a very convenient act.

"'Course not," I scoffed, gingerly getting to my feet. Oh boy, okay. I was definitely taller than I was used too. My knees shook and I stuck my arms out for balance, only for my feet to roll backwards, knees catching my chair, ungracefully toppling me back onto it. "Shit."

"I knew today was going to be a good time, but I didn't anticipate watching these two learn how to fall down," Noah said with a laugh.

"Don't you mean learn how to skate?" Katie asked.