Chapter 14: Punishment

"So where's your hunky boyfriend?" Mick asked, jumping onto my bed.

"He's around here somewhere."

Last I heard he was probably going to hang out with Ace today, and either way I hadn't asked Mick here to party. Between his drinking, wandering eyes, and flat out admitting things with Aidan weren't going as well as we all thought, I was more than a little worried.

"Shame," he said with a shake of his head. "Man, your bed is COMFORTABLE! Do you think Blade would wanna adopt me? 'Cause I could get used to living like this."

"Very funny. But considering you're basically the same age-" give or take a few centuries anyway, "--that probably wouldn't work out."

He pouted at me. "I guess I'll just have to find myself a sugar daddy."

"Or a job?" I suggested helpfully, "You know? Like most people our age?"

"Are you guys hiring?" He asked, immediately perking up.

"No. And that wouldn't be a good idea anyway."

"Whoa, why not?"

"Look Mick...just...are you doing okay?" I asked, cutting straight to the chase. Mick coming to work with me and a certain hottie was not a good idea at present. Not until his wandering eyes got under control anyway.

"I'm fine!" he looked taken aback. "Why wouldn't I be?"

I considered my words carefully for a moment before answering, not wanting to offend him. "It's just that lately you've been...different."

"Different how?" he sat up, propping himself up against my headboard. I traced patterns on my duvet, suddenly feeling silly. Maybe I was overreacting.

"What happened yesterday with Mike and what you said about Aidan," I said slowly, "And I have noticed you've been drinking quite a bit. It just seems like you're not...doing so well."

"What?" his expression immediately cleared, and he relaxed again. "I'm doing just fine Kiana, promise. I'm just blowing off steam when I'm drinking, and what I said about Aidan yesterday is whatever."

"It didn't seem so 'whatever' to me," I frowned. He looked really cut up about it yesterday.

"A momentary lapse," he waved his hand. "Really."

"So...you've talked to Aidan about it then?" I prodded. It didn't seem right. Far be it for me to call Mick a liar, but he seemed a little too cheerful.

"No? It's fine. Like I said, a momentary lapse." But there was something about how he didn't quite meet my eyes.

"Mick..."

"Kiana..." he mocked me.

"Hey come on. You can talk to me about whatever's bothering you, Mick. You know that. Hell, out of everyone I'm the best equipped to understand the situation," I said softly, reaching out to touch his arm.

His eyes drifted to my hand, chewing his lip ring thoughtfully. I sat back, raising my hands in surrender. "If you don't want to talk, it's fine. I'm just letting you know that if you do, I'm here, alright? I worry about you and just want to make sure you're okay."

"It's not that I don't want to talk," he said suddenly, hugging his knees to his chest. "I'm just scared."

"Of what?"

"I guess that if I tell him I'm not happy that he'll want to break up with me. I mean, he's stuck with Mona forever, but I'm totally replaceable. How can I compete with a blood bond that lasts forever?"