Chapter 45: Co-Sponsored by Break-Ups

Now that I was feeling better, Lexi had insisted on us starting self defense lessons immediately. Blade and I were admittedly due for a hang out and I couldn't find a good enough excuse to get out of it, so Blade had come to pick me up and we were marinating in the most God awful silence ever. After the initial gruff and obligatory 'are you feeling better?' and me assuring him I was, in fact, healthy again, we had run out of topics to discuss and it was driving me crazy.

Silence stretched on and on, endlessly terrible, making me wonder just how badly I might get injured if I tried to hop out of the car in the middle of this highway we were on. It was more fun being at work. Actually, it was more fun studying for my final exams. And that was a new level of pathetic that had me grasping desperately at any possible topic that came to mind just to fill this void.

"I walked in on Katie and Noah making out on our couch."

His head turned so fast I was sure he was going to have whiplash, looking at me for the first time since he had picked me up.

"What the fuck?" That stoic mask had finally cracked, genuine surprise taking its place. "Since when are they an item?"

Thank God for Katie and Noah, if he hadn't gone for this topic I had no other ideas for distraction. "Apparently a while now. They've been spending more time together lately and I guess that was enough. They've only been on a few dates, though I'd say otherwise judging by the scene I walked in on."

He let out a puff of amused air. "Wow. And here I thought Jill was your first and last room mate to scar you with such a sight."

"Apparently that's my room mate type. I just never pictured Katie like...well...that." Even though I had witnessed it with my own two eyes, it was still hard to believe. Not them dating, that was easy, it was more the...suggestive nature of their relationship. Even with Nate she had kept things pretty PG, but with Noah it was definitely surpassing that and quick.

"I assumed she was still heartbroken over Nate. She seemed it at prom."

I recalled the two of them tangled up on the couch. "She's definitely not torn up about Nate anymore."

"Guess that moment they had at prom was just a moment. Do they still talk?"

"Not that I know of. But not many people talk to their ex's on a regular basis. I barely speak to Landon anymore."

His lips twitched, but he said nothing. Interesting. Landon loved to bitch incessantly about Blade and make any sort of underhanded comment about him, and while Blade had lost any interest in Landon's existence once Landon and I had broken up, he still loved to make fun of him whenever the opportunity presented itself. And for Blade, that was pretty much any time his name came up.

"Actually, he texted me the other night," I added. Might as well use the opportunity for conversation, we still had a ways to go before we reached his parents house after all. Listening to him roast Landon always bordered on either amusing or annoying, but either way, it was better than staring at the trees blurring past.

"Oh really? What did the witless wonder have to say?"

Ah, there it is. "Not much. He texted before bed to ask how I was since he heard from Noah and Mick that things with me were weird so he was just checking in, and I was still sick so I passed out soon after."

He scoffed.

"What's wrong with that?" I asked. 

"As if his motives are that fucking pure."

"Why else would he text me?"

"Oh, come on," he said, giving me a look like he couldn't believe how naïve I was being. "Landon only ever wanted one thing and that was you."