Chapter 11: House Warming

"Well, well, well. Newbie is back and in business!" Mike greeted me, tray against his hip, when he saw me walk out of the kitchen, armed with an apron, notepad, and pen. "Nervous?"

"Kind of. More excited than anything else honestly," I admitted, reaching back to make sure my apron strings were nice and tight. 

Mike laughed a nice, warm, bellowing laugh. "Hold on to that excitement, newbie. It may not last that long."

"Comforting." Seemed like everyone just wanted to crush my optimism about working. 

"Kale isn't here right now, so I'm in charge. You'll be taking those tables over there," Mike gestured at the corners at the far right end. "We're only two today but its also a week day so don't expect it to be too insanely busy right now. It's also pretty hot so anyone who would be out and about are most likely swimming or getting ice cream, not coffee. Which is good news for you."

"Okay, and am I going to learn how to make the different drinks and stuff today?"

He nodded. "On downtime, I'll be showing you how things work and helping you learn the menu and prices. We gotta get you in tip top shape asap."

"I'm a quick learner," I promised. "If I have a good teacher."

His eyebrows rose. "Are you insinuating that I'm a bad teacher?"

"Me? Never," I grinned. "Honestly I don't know. You explained things fairly well last time so I think we'll be just fine."

Now he rolled his eyes at me. "You've got some spirit, I'll give you that, newbie."

"Well I do try," I said with a curtsy, pulling on my apron like it was the skirt of a ballgown.

"Keep that fancy curtsy stuff for parties, right now you're a peasant and servant, not a princess," he quipped, his eyes moving over my shoulder. "And look at that, the first clients of your work day are here!"

"Cinderella at your service! Excuse me while I tuck my glass slippers into the broom closet," I said, reaching for my notepad and pen as I made my way over to the table.

********

"So how was your day?" Blade asked once we got home. I spent the ride home guzzling water and stuffing my face with the granola bar and a few crackers I had left at the bottom of my bag, so it didn't leave much time for talking.

"Long. Better than all you guys keep making it out to be, but man my feet hurt and I am starving. Tell me Jordan is making something fabulous for dinner," I groaned, walking barefoot from the car to inside. My shoes were not as comfy as I thought they would be. Its one thing to be sitting in class all day, its another to be standing and walking all day in them. Time to find a comfier pair of shoes for work it seemed, because I was pretty sure I had blisters on my heels from the backs of my flats.

"One of your favorites actually; spaghetti. Extra meatballs since its a special occasion, and garlic bread," he said, grinning smugly at me. 

"Wipe that smile off your face, it wasn't that bad," I huffed, making my way down the hall after saying a quick hello to Leo. I really wanted to slap on some comfy pj shorts...or go swimming. But that could wait for after dinner.

"Where are you going?" Blade called after me. "Dinner is pretty much ready!"

"To change. I'll be down in a few and don't you dare think of eating any of my meatballs," I called back, breaking into a jog at the promise of food.

"Wouldn't dream of it!"

Once I entered the kitchen in much comfier clothes, Jordan spooned a large heaping of spaghetti onto a plate and a couple of large delicious looking meatballs onto the spaghetti mountain.