Chapter 4: A Little Subtle

"Promise you'll call as soon as you get home?" I asked past the lump in my throat, hugging my mom tightly, like that could keep her here with me forever. The airport was busy and crowded with people, but I barely noticed the loud volumes and masses of people. My mom was leaving. Without me. It was final. I was staying with Blade. It was actually happening.

"Promise," she replied, sounding on the verge of crying as well. I took one last breath of her familiar smell, then I pulled away and wiped under my eyes. Even though she looked sad, she still had a smile for me. Despite her smile, I still felt so scared and guilty. There was nothing worse than seeing your mother cry, especially if you were part of the reason why she was upset. "We'll see each other soon. The wedding is only a few months away, remember? And you little missy are going to come visit and help me pick things out."

Most of the preparations had already been made, but there were still some last minute things to be taken care of. It was strange to think I wouldn't be there through it all.

"Good point but still, I'm gonna miss you," I said, taking a deep breath to calm down. I fanned myself and laughed a little. "Maybe I'm not as independent and grown up as I thought."

"You better not ever grow up! I like you just the way you are. Grown-ups are boring," she replied, the announcement for her plane interrupting her. "I guess I better go..."

I bit my lip and threw myself at her again, hugging her tightly one last time.

"I love you, Kiana. Even if I'm not here with you, I'll still there for you no matter what, okay?" she whispered in my ear, squeezing me so tight my ribs were starting to ache but I didn't care. "And you can come visit whenever you want and you can call me any time."

"I know. I love you too, Mom." My eyes were stinging as she let me go and hugged Blade, who had been respectively waiting a few feet away. She gave him a stern look. "You take care of my baby, got it? I know where you live and there's nothing worse than an angry mother."

"I fully intend of taking care of her, even though she's pretty good at taking care of herself," he replied, smiling reassuringly at her.

"I'll hold you to it," she warned him, then grinned and picked up her bag and headed for the gate with one last wave and a slightly tearful smile. Blade came over and slipped his arm around my waist, both of us watching as she disappeared from view to board her plane.

"Are you sure this is what you want?" he asked quietly.

I thought about it. Really, truly thought about it. Still staring at the people who were following the path my mom had taken to the plane, I replied. "Yeah, I'm sure. Let's go home."

********

When we got back home, Blade disappeared into his room like I knew he would. He'd made the effort to be around and cheerful the past few days, just for my mom, but I could tell it was fake. Ace's invite had really rattled him, but I figured he'd be more happy than upset.

I just shrugged it off and left him alone, deciding to finally enjoy the peace and quiet of the house now that all visitors were gone. Blade could come find me when he was in a better mood. Mazey, whom Mom left with me since she was my cat and also so I'd have something from home, stayed with me most of the day. I went to the library to read, watched a couple of movies, and just sort of lounged about. Just when I was swimming lazily in the pool, Blade came and sat on a chair by the edge.

Swimming over, I studied him. His shoulders were slightly hunched forward, hands clasped between his knees, and his mouth was pressed so thinly it almost disappeared.

"Everything okay?" I asked, putting my hands on the cement edge so I could see him better.

"No." His blunt answer left me blinking up at him in shock. That was certainly a change. I heaved myself out of the pool, grabbed my towel and wrapped it around myself like a shawl before I sat down opposite him. "What's up?"