Chapter 40: Garbage Day

Blade POV

"Where are we going?" I asked, hands in my lap, uncertain what to do with them. It was strange to not be the one driving for once, and while I was content to let Eliza take me to whatever surprise she had planned, I wished she had let me drive, just so I had the luxury of distraction instead of sitting here uncomfortably, not knowing what to do with myself.

"You'll know when we get there," she said sagely, "It'll be worth it though, I promise you that."

"Did we really need to leave at four in the morning for it?"

Eliza wanting to go out? Expected.

Her wanting to come pick me up at the before crack of dawn? Absolutely not.

Eliza was always full of surprises though and I couldn't for the life of me puzzle out where the hell she was taking me so damn early. The sky was only just beginning to lighten, but still, it was quite dim and the world was grey. Even without feeling the strain of my bond, I lacked the ability to sleep well most nights and I was running on about an hour or two of sleep thanks to the early wake up call.

It was due to be a fucking sunny and scorching day though, which meant wherever we were going, it was probably outside, before the sun became too strong for either of us.

She drove us deep into the country, long rolling fields and trees and farmlands, some animals already out in their paddocks, but mostly it was quiet and empty. I tried to settle in and enjoy the view and I found my head bobbing, half asleep from the hum of the engine and the quiet straight road, until she said "We're here."

She turned us onto a long dirt driveway with paddocks on either side and we pulled up to a long green barn with a red roof and dozens of tiny red framed windows and large matching red double doors, the paint peeling a little from weather and wear, and even inside the car I could catch the scent of horses, manure, and leather. It smelled like home. It made me want to run as far away as I could.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, still not quite sure what she had up her sleeve but my throat was already squeezing tight. 

"We are going riding," she said, flashing a smile then hopping out of the car, her long braid swishing. I scrambled to follow her, heart jammed in my throat at this announcement.

I hadn't been horseback riding in centuries. Ever since Prince had been slaughtered in his stall, I hadn't had the heart to really continue on after my family's escape from being hunted down. I had kept Eliza's horse Prancer until she passed of age, and her foal after that, but that was the last time I'd done anything involving a horse that wasn't a carriage ride, back when that was the way to travel.

"Eliza," I said, following her through the doors to a quiet barn. 

"What?" she asked, walking backwards to appraise me, "Don't tell me you're out of practice."

"Six hundred years out of practice," I grudgingly admitted, though that wasn't the problem. Walking through the aisle, well swept and clean, curious horses poked their heads over their wooden doors to see who was out here making noise, ears pricked forward. 

"It's like riding a bicycle, you never forget," she said, tapping her nose with a wink. "Come on."

I swallowed hard, trying to shove my swirling memories of Prince and all that blood in his stall down, eyes firm on the ground as I briskly followed after her. Not realizing she'd stopped, I bumped into her and nearly knocked her over, and we both clutched at each other to remain steady and upright. 

"Sorry," I muttered, stepping back, rubbing my arm. 

"That's alright. What do you think?" she asked, nudging me so I'd look up. "Think she's good enough to ease you back in?"