Chapter 37: Admire the Art

Lexi and Ace had both made the trip to my apartment at the same time, which was a bit unusual as they usually took turns visiting and keeping an eye on me, but I supposed moving out was a big enough occasion that they both decided to celebrate at the same time, arriving before any of my other friends had to boot.

"I brought you a present," Lexi said, stuffing a box with ribbon into my hands as soon as I opened the door to let them in.

"Uh, thank you...but why?" Was this some sort of trick? It wasn't my birthday or a holiday so...what gives? Lexi was not in the habit of bringing me gifts, and much like a cat, I had to assume it was going to be something unpleasant. Probably not a dead animal, but also...it was Lexi so I couldn't totally discount the possibility.

"Consider it a little housewarming gift," she said, sitting down by Katie at the table while Ace went to lean against the kitchen counter. "I think every young, single, human girl should have one of these."

That didn't comfort me in the slightest. In fact, it made me more nervous. I pried open the top an inch, peeking inside to see a long, thick-- "LEXI!"

Ace jumped in surprise and Katie asked "What is it?" as I slammed the box shut before any of them could take a peek.

"What? You never know, it might come in handy one day," she said, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

"Thank you, but you really didn't have too." Thank God I didn't open it all the way.

"I'm just looking out for you, after all, you have a habit of attracting the wrong kind of attention from guys and I think it's important for you to know how to handle...situations...on your own," she said with a wink, as if her less than subtle tone was a masterful display of being casual.

Ace choked, staring at me and the box with a look like Christmas had come early, but also like he couldn't quite believe what was happening, struggling to clear his throat. Katie was looking from me to Lexi and back again, still completely lost as no one had answered the question and I had zero intentions of illuminating the situation to her.

"I'm really...you know, I'm really okay. I'm not worried about that. At all. Really. But thank you. I'm just gonna go put this in my room, in a very special place," I said, backing up to my room, then closing the door quick so I could hide it. I yanked a bunch of clothes out of one of my boxes, dumped her gift at the bottom, then hastily covered it back up. Hopefully I could hide it better once I got an actual dresser.

When I emerged from my room, Lexi was going on at length about how important it was for women to learn to be independent and I wasn't sure if that meant she told Katie what she had given me or not, but I was going to assume no and not say anything, just in case.

Ace caught my eye from where he was leaning against the counter and mouthed 'what did she get you?'

I made a fist, jerking it back and forth, and though the amusement was still there, there was confusion too in the way he wrinkled his brow. While Katie was distracted, I snuck my way over to him, rocking to my tiptoe, hand on his shoulder to keep steady while I whispered in his ear.

He burst out laughing. "That was so not what I thought she got you at all, but that is still very on brand for Lexi."

"What did you think it was?" What could possibly be worse than getting a wooden stake as a housewarming gift? As if I was some kind of vampire slayer or something! How could I explain that to Katie if she had seen it?

"You know, I really don't want to say."

I tugged on his shirt. "Come on! Tell me. It can't be that bad."