Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 21

Chapter 21

June 14th, 2012

"Melody! Hurry up! You're going to be late if you don't get up," Skipper called from outside my door. I groaned, but jumped out of bed anyway, finally remembering what day it was. I smiled in triumph and quickly fixed up my covers, before walking straight downstairs. 

I gave my sisters each a kiss when I got to the table, and I hugged my dad. "School is starting late today, actually," I said as I sat down in front of my full plate of pancakes.

"Oh?" dad said, taking a long sip of coffee. I nodded and stabbed my pancakes with my fork. I was about to stuff them in my mouth, when I remembered something. I reached across the table and grabbed the napkin holder where I stuffed my daily dose of painkillers. I pulled them out and stuffed them in my mouth, swallowing without water. 

I heard a sigh from my mother and I glanced up at her. "What's wrong, mom?" I asked, noticing her posture was now rigid and tense. "Are you alright?" 

She shrugged. "I guess its just... Melody do you really still need those pills? It's been practically six months sweetheart," she reminded me. I thought about it for a minute, before deciding to simply avoid the question and drown out the longing stares of my mother by stuffing my face with pancakes.

After a few more minutes under the gaze of my parents, I dropped my fork, and looked at them. "You guys don't understand. The doctor said that I was forever going to be stuck with the possibility of constant pain. It's not constant, but it happens sometimes. Now is one of those times," I admitted, wincing as a light flush of pain seared through my legs. I rubbed at my skin, hoping to stop it. "It hurts," I said, with a small, unconvincing smile.

Mom walked over to me, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "Just promise you'll be able to walk across the stage today," she said with a beaming grin.

"I promise mom," I said, wrapping my arms tightly around her. My smile grew wider when I felt my dads arms tighten around both of us. "We better cherish this moment before the others get down here and ruin it," I murmured into my moms shoulder, earning a laugh. 

We pulled away just in time when Skipper, Stacey, Chelsea and Rosie all came in the room. Stacey noticed us standing very close and crossed her arms. "Melody, did you just have a family group hug without us?" she said, a small, devious smile playing at her tiny plump lips. I looked at each of my sisters faces, each one of them holding that exact smile.

"Maybe," I said, taking a small step back. They mimicked my movement, but instead moved forward. I quickly turned on my heel and ran for the living room.

I laughed at the loud squeals coming from my sisters as I escaped into the living room and dove onto the couch. As they all closed in on me, I lifted a pillow up to protect myself. "No guys, don't!" I shouted as they each piled on me, wrapping their arms around me in a giant embrace. I tried to wriggle my way out, but it was no use. Stacey and Chelsea had my arms, Skipper was on top of me, and Rosie was clinging helplessly to my leg. I couldn't fight anymore. "Okay, I give."

"Good," Chelsea said, releasing her grip. "Because you're late for school."