Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 8

Chapter 8

After a few minutes to myself, I walked back into the school and right into French class. I didn't care that I was there before the teacher or anything like that. To be honest, Zoe had really freaked me out. She had power in this school. Something I should really be afraid of. 

As long as I'd known Zoe, she'd actually been completely nice. She wasn't rude, or conceited, or shallow, and she sincerely loved Jesse. But the whole time they'd been dating, he'd done nothing but use her and kick her to the curb. But of course, being the notorious suck up that he was, she always forgave him when he came 'crawling'  back. I had thought the entire thing was absolutely disgusting and cruel, but not as bad as what Zoe was doing with Palmer behind Jesse's back. Especially when she still claims to love him. 

"Disgusting," I muttered to myself. 

I didn't notice after about ten minutes when everyone started piling in. I looked up from my desk and saw everyone taking their seats. Some people eyed me weirdly, whereas Hannah just rolled her eyes and took over the seat next to me. 

"What are you doing here?" she asked, keeping one perfectly defined eyebrow raised. 

I looked around as if she was completely stupid. "It's class, remember?" 

She was about to protest, but instead she just snapped her mouth shut. "Whatever," she said, before pulling her notebook out of her bag. I grinned in response, knowing that just this once, she'd let me win. And it felt good. But then I remembered I didn't tell her about Jesse. Suddenly I was on a whole new level of sick.

"Hey," a deep, sexy, familiar voice said next to me.

I smiled to myself before I turned my head, to see Jesse grinning to himself like and idiot. The sight literally made all sick, disgusted thoughts instantly vanish. "How did you know it was me?" I asked.

This only made him grin more. "I just knew."

Somehow I didn't really believe that, but I let it go anyway. I was guessing that Damien probably told him it was me. I looked over at him to see him laughing behind his hand, and I rolled my eyes. Sometimes I really didn't understand the mind of a guy.

Jesse was staring at me. Well, not literally. But his head was turned to me as if he was looking at me, and to be honest, it felt nice, even though he couldn't see me. I'm guessing he was trying to put my face together. Imagine what I used to look like, and maybe think about how much had changed.

"What are you doing?" I whispered to him.

He smiled. "I'm trying to imagine how beautiful you are. I figure if I try hard enough, maybe I'll kind of be able to see you. I kind of forgot how a lot of people look," he said, a hint of sadness in his voice. I reached out and took his hand, holding it tightly in mine, for the rest of class.

Later after class, Jesse and I both had a free period, so we grabbed our bags and spent the rest of the day out on the football field.