Close Your Eyes, Mr. Player ~ Chapter 17

Hey guys! So, Chapter 17 is written and ready for you guys! Isn't it sad though? This story is going to be over... probably by Christmas. I can't even bear the thought. I've enjoyed writing this book a lot, and I'm glad to see so many other people have enjoyed it :) 

Chapter 17

~Tara~

I held my breath as Melody turned her chair to face me. She looked beautiful tonight. Different but beautiful. I haven't spoken to her in what seems like ages, and she didn't seem any more eager to talk to me than she was last time we spoke. "How are you?"

I watched her as she grabbed her Shirley Temple from the counter which the bartender had recently placed there and took a big gulp of it. She took her time wiping her mouth with the back of her hand, and jumping off the stool. She smiled at me, and held her hands out to her sides. "Just enjoying a party, Tara!" she said loud enough for me to hear. I bit my lip, trying my best not to make it obvious that I could hear the sarcasm in her voice. 

"Clearly you're not any happier to see me," I said, laughing uncomfortably. I saw guilt flash through her eyes, which she quickly blinked away, before downing the rest of her drink. "Okay that was a bit harsh."

She shook her head. "No, you're right. I'm being a bitch aren't I?" I shook my head, but she still sighed and sat down again, tucking her dress under herself. She looked at me, and to my surprise, took my hand in hers. "If I even dared to apologize, would you dare to forgive me?" she said, her eyes gleaming with humour as well as sympathy. It reminded me of the Melody I've always known and loved. 

I nodded and threw my arms around her neck. "I thought you hated me!" I shouted. Even though I was right by her ear, the music was blasted to inhuman levels of loud that I'm sure would get Palmer arrested alone. 

"Tara I could never hurt you! Seriously, who could hate you?" she said, pulling back to look at me. I grinned and didn't bother to wipe away the single tear that rolled down my cheek. I heard it more often than not, but when Melody said it, I actually believed it. That was the great thing about her. No matter what Melody said, you just wanted to believe her, because she was that optimistic about life. She could make you believe anything, just with a single sentence. "But what are you doing here? This isn't your scene," she said skeptically.

I crossed my arms over my chest and smirked. "You're one to talk. You never come to parties." Her smile faltered a bit and I knew I had her.

I could tell she wanted to say something. Or maybe she didn't but her brain wouldn't let her keep quiet. That didn't stop her from trying to avoid whatever it was she was thinking. "Melody." She instantly snapped her mouth shut and stared at me, wide-eyed. "I know why you're here," I said. I smiled as she visibly relaxed. Clearly she wasn't too comfortable with it all.

"Well, at least that saves me from having to explain it," she said, laughing nervously. I cocked an eyebrow. Nervously? What was she nervous about? Did she think I was still dating Jesse or something? I noticed her looking around the room nervously. When she saw me looking, she stared back into her lap.