CHAPTER SIXTEEN

If only life could be so simple, if only one could have absolute control over most of what goes on in our lives, but alas it is not so.

If only I could see the future I'd know what steps to follow, who to trust, who not to...

When morning came, so did the three consecutive knocks on my bedroom door. Without a doubt, it was Haruna, he begged for me to hear him out, for a chance to apologise.

I knew it was wrong of me not to grant him an audience when he was remorseful and intended to apologise, but I was too much of a coward to gather the guts to face him.

No, not a coward but the thought of being close to him was unnerving to say the least.

He eventually relented when he received no response and left. I waited for an hour just to be sure he'd left the house before stepping out of my bedroom.

I made it my number one mission to avoid him, so to do so I knew I had to leave the house for as long as I could and eventually sneak back in or be cooped up in my bedroom all day long, either way, it works.

I didn't know for how long I'd have to keep up with it, but until
I grew a set of balls to face him, it would have to do.

Just as I crept down the stairs and was headed to the front door, a voice stopped me.

"Madam, good morning o", I turned to face Linda, the maid. She was clad in a checkered blue and white apron with a very funny looking chef hat, bent in an awkward position on her head. She was dark and very curvy, I learned she only came in the morning then leaves in the evening after finishing all her duties

"Good morning", my lips thinned into a forced smile.

"Madam abeg you dey comot?", She asked in her Warri accent with furrowed brows. I looked down at my purse and realized she'd figured I was going out, she'd probably inform Haruna if he calls which I knew he would
[Translate: Madam please are you going out?]

"Yes", I replied.

"Erm madam, I just dish your food, you no go eat before going?", she wringed her fingers.
[Translate: I just served your food, aren't you going to eat before leaving?]

"No, don't worry, I have to go now", she nodded and I turned to leave.

Just as I crossed the threshold, I found Geoffrey by the door standing motionless with his hands joined below his abdomen. He was wearing casual clothings and I wondered why. When he noticed my presence, he gave a subtle nod which I acknowledged.

I started towards the gate with the intention of finding a taxi to which ever place I'd go.

I hadn't decided yet...

I felt a presence behind and I whipped my head around to find Geoffrey a little distance away behind me. I hadn't even heard his footfalls, it was a mystery how a man with such a bulky frame walked so soundlessly.

"Why are you following me?", I raised a skeptical brow, although I already knew what his answer would be.

"I'm here for your security, Madam", he replied curtly.

"Uh I know, but I won't be out long so I'm sure it would be useless to come along", I chuckled trying to lighten the mood but his face remained impassive.

"That's not a problem Madam, it's my job", I sighed. I knew his resilience wasn't going to be dented but it was worth a shot.

"I'll get a taxi then", I sighed yet again, feigning a dejected expression, hoping he'd let me go out alone.