CHAPTER FOURTEEN

A month had passed since our last visit to Kaka. We'd spent a week in Lafia before going back to Lagos. Haruna never mentioned anything about Kaka seeing through our lies. That meant he didn't know anything and I'd rather it stayed that way.

Kaka had a reason for not mentioning it to him and I didn't intend to do it either.

Our daily routine consisted of me staying home all day long, while he went to work and came home really late. We didn't share a bedroom and that meant we hardly got a glimpse of each other, not even at breakfast or dinner.

Although I liked it that way, it was quite tiresome not having anyone to talk to but yourself. I may have as well gone crazy.

On a Saturday, I'd decided to explore Lekki and maybe Ikeja. Although I didn't really know my way around, I thanked the stars for the existence of Google Maps.

I wore blue baggy jeans, a white t-shirt. Lastly, I fastened the lace of my white sneakers and picked up my wallet, heading out.

I bounded down the stairs in a hurry to leave, just as I neared the foyer, Haruna appeared by the kitchen, leaning against the entrance door clad in shorts and a loose button down shirt. He scrutinized me from head to toe with a raised brow.

“Where are you going dressed like that?”, he asked nodding at my outfit. I looked down at my outfit with furrowed brows then looked up at him.

“Out. I'll be back before dinner”, I replied and turned to leave but a sharp 'wait' from him stopped me.

“You can't go out alone”, he buried his hands into his pockets and straightened up, walking closer to me.

“And why is that?, I am not a child, you can't give me restrictions”, he stood two feet away from me, mirth flashing in his eyes as he chuckled.

“I didn't say you were”, he shrugged and pulled out his smart phone dialing a number. I stood glaring at him while he smirked.

He was so infuriating...

He held up his index finger when I attempted to speak and pointed to the phone propped up against his left ear.

“Yes, come in”, he ended the call and stared at me for several seconds. I couldn't decipher what he was thinking as I stared back.

The saying that the eyes are the window to the soul started to seem false the longer I stared at him.

“What now?, I have to go”, I had started to get impatient and fidgety because of his unwavering stare.

“Just a minute”, just as he said this a series of knocks came from the door. Startled, I watched as he crossed his arms over his chest and invited the person in.

The knob turned and a man clad in a black suit came in, he was built and towered over me by a head. His hard chiseled features appeared intimidating and I unconsciously took a step back, Haruna noticed and chuckled.

“Sir, Madam”, he spoke in a gruff voice as he acknowledged us.

“Sifon this is Geoffrey, he'll be your bodyguard from now on”, Haruna said indifferently.

“What?”.

He was joking right?...

“He'll take you wherever it is you want to go and of course, offer protection”, my eyes twitched in annoyance.

“When did I ever mention I was in need of a babysitter”, I spoke through gritted teeth and he sighed as though he was dealing with an obstinate child.

“Leave us”, he ordered Geoffrey who nodded and left.

“Have you forgotten whose wife you are?”, he inched closer, attempting to intimidate me with his towering frame but I stood my ground and faced him head on.