Ch. 50

"Looks like your mother and Ginny are getting along well," Draco said with a grin as he nudged Blaise.

"Almost too well," Blaise said, raising an eyebrow as he watched Ginny and his mother laugh at something his mother had said.

"That's a good thing, though!" Hermione said happily. "You two were both so worried about how she would react to Ginny."

"I know, but now it seems as though they're best friends, and that's a dangerous combination," Blaise groaned as he took a sip from his whiskey.

Draco and Hermione both laughed at this as they watched Aster and Ginny break out into a fit of laughter again, Ginny having to set her wine glass down to stop from spilling it.

"That can't be good," Blaise muttered.

"Oh, stop worrying!" Hermione laughed, giving Blaise's arm a light smack.

Blaise couldn't help but grin, and the sound of someone arriving caught their attention. Hermione instantly heard Draco groan though as the two new arrivals walked into the ballroom.

It appeared to be an older witch and her two daughters, the eldest seeming looking to be around their age. Hermione thought she recognized this woman, but couldn't quite place where from.

"I'm surprised they were invited," Blaise said, his eyebrows shooting upwards in shock.

"Who are they?" Hermione asked curiously. "I think I recognize one of them..."

"It's the Greengrasses," Draco said unhappily, taking a long drink from his wine. "Mother must have invited them for some reason..."

Greengrass. The name instantly came back to Hermione and she gave Draco a terrified look. "You mean, the one your mother tried to set you up with at that first lunch we had with them?"

"Mother and Zinnia Greengrass have been friends for years," Draco explained. "That has to be the only reason they are here. I'm not sure why Astoria and Daphne are here though..."

Hermione watched nervously as Narcissa and Lucius crossed the room to greet their guests, and noticed that the elder daughter, whom Hermione now realized was Astoria Greengrass, was looking around the room. Almost as if she were looking for someone in particular.

Astoria paused as her eyes fell to Draco and she quickly leaned forward to whisper something in her mother's ear. Her mother looked at her and gestured towards us with an urgent expression, and then Astoria left her mother's side to walk towards the group.

"Oh Merlin..." Blaise muttered. "This will be interesting."

"Why is she coming over here?" Hermione asked in a slightly panicked voice.

"She was housemates with us, two years younger though," Blaise explained quietly. "Hopefully she's only saying hi..."

Astoria stopped next to them, smiling widely at Blaise but focusing particularly on Draco. "Blaise, Draco! You both are looking handsome as ever!"

Hermione glared as she noticed Astoria eye Draco slowly, her gaze raking up and down as she took him in. Draco stepped next to Hermione and wrapped an arm around her waist, nodding as he said in a curt voice, "Astoria, it has been a while."

Astoria raised an eyebrow as Draco pulled Hermione close against him, a noticeable rage in her eyes. She forced a smile however and said to Hermione, "Hello, I don't believe we've met! I'm Astoria Greengrass."

She held out a hand, but Hermione didn't take it. Instead Hermione gave a sweet smile and said, "Hermione Granger, and it's a pleasure to meet you."