Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One:

Oh, so typical.

Riley's Pov:

"So, what are you doing for the little break we're having?"Halley asked as we exited our last class of the day, now heading down the hallway. "What?" I asked, giving her a confused look. "Do you ever check your email if it isn't about Soccer?" She asked as she pulled out her phone. "It's like  you worship it or something." I shrugged my shoulders. "That's not entirely true." I said with a frown, watching a few girls walk by.

"Riley, half the time you sleep with your ball. You named your frog 'Socz' last week when we were doing that experiment. You even-" I cut her off. "Like you don't love it just as much." I mumbled, walking over to my locker.

She only rolled her eyes,  smiling a bit as I placed the last of my books on my shelf. "Anyway," she cleared her throat."It says here that we're going on mandatory leave for a few days due to remodeling or something. They're gonna re paint the school and replace windows, get some more expensive flooring and change out the chandeliers and stuff."

I grimaced, looking over at her. "That's gotta be a prank email or something, right?" I asked, getting her to laugh. "Dude, we're getting a week off. Stop being so pissy about it." She shook her head at me. "Don't you miss your family?" She asked as I closed my locker.

"Well, yeah but I doubt I'll ever see him again." I said with a sigh, heaving my backpack over my shoulder. "Dude, I'm sure your dad can't be that busy." She assured me. "And why not your mom? Is she a bitch or something." I chewed the inside of my cheek. "She doesn't want to see me." Halley scoffed. "You're over thinking. Of course she wants to. You're her daughter."

I forced an unwanted smile. "I'm sure." I said, those words basically flying out of my mouth and settling on the floor in front of us, the both of us glancing at them for only a second. "What about your brothers? Don't they miss you?" She asked.

"I'm sure they're too busy being spoiled rotten to miss me." I laughed at the thought of two messy blonde haired boys running through the house, causing chaos.  "They adore you." Halley said with a smile. "They tricked your limo driver to bring them to your game last season." She reminded. "They send you cute little drawings and the most random things." She added.

We started back up the hall towards the mail area. "What do you expect me to do with leaves and weird rocks?" I asked. Halley shrugged. "You need to see your family, Riles. I'm not the only one who's noticed how distant you are from anyone outside of those gates." I sighed to myself as I searched for my mailbox number. "Maybe if you call them they'll come to your games and fencing matches." She suggested, watching as I manged my key into the lock, opening it and checking for anything.

"They don't ever come to anything that involves me." I told her, shaking my head at how useless it would be trying to reach out to them with their busy schedules. "And why do you think?" She asked as if she knew. "Because I tell them not to." I said matter of factly, rolling my eyes as I pulled out a smooth envelope. She only rolled her eyes.

"Watcha got there?" She asked as I read the front of the envelope, shaking my head. "Nothing, really." I said as if it was just some boring letter, Halley not taking that for an answer. "What are you hiding?" She asked, failing to read over my shoulder as I folded the letter in half.

"It's just some letter about my new fencing gear I ordered." I lied, tucking the letter in my pocket and shrugging it off.

"You're so weird, Rye." She told me as she checked hers, receiving a small package that she carelessly dropped inside her bag.

It was just some letter from Los Angeles, California Adoption, wanting me to fill out the usual form I got every month, basically them wanting to know if I was alive and well. When I turned eighteen I was basically old enough to get out of the system atleast, by nineteen completely.