Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The Letter

Alex's Pov:

"Need help with that?" Someone called out from behind me. I turned just in time to see him jog over to me, quickly relieving me of the box I was carrying. He looked to be around my age and was wearing one of Lockwood's polo shirts.

He moved swiftly past me, placing the box of props on one of the shelves. He smiled, and I couldn't deny the fact that he was a really cute guy, dark brown curls and hazel eyes. "I thought that boys weren't allowed here?" I questioned playfully. He shrugged as he shut the door to the storage closet.

"When your mom runs the auditorium, I guess you get a free pass. I'm Jacob, by the way." he introduced himself with an extend of his hand. "I don't think I've seen you around before, so I take it that you're new?"

"Uh...yeah." I answered as I shook his hand. He walked with me back into the auditorium. "I'm Alex. Have we met before?" I asked, looking up at him with intrigue. He looked familiar for some reason that I couldn't quite pinpoint.

I had an hour to kill before classes today, so I offered to help Mrs. Faye when it came to cleaning and arranging equipment from over the summer. I didn't mind, to be honest. Theater was the only class that I was starting to look forward to, and helping others was something I had always loved doing. Plus, I could tell that she was genuinely passionate about her job, something that most teachers lacked. Inspired I was.

"I'm positive that if I met you, I would have remembered." he smiled confidently. "But no, we haven't. I came to help my mom set up a little before her first class, but I think that she'll be fine on her own if you want me to walk you to yours?"

"Are you sure about that?" I glanced over at Mrs. Faye who was struggling to carry one of the larger boxes, her eyes narrowed at her son. "Plus, my class is only two halls over. I think I can manage fine."

"Really, it'll only be a minute." Jacob reassured as he climbed the small staircase to the stage, taking the box from his mother and disappearing behind one of the large curtains. I slipped my backpack on, taking a moment to check my phone for the time. 7:25. I had only five minutes to get to class and was about to leave after two, but he showed up again just as I was reaching for the door.

"So, are you taking her class this year?" He asked as we exited Fine Arts and headed towards my first period. Most of the girls we passed stopped to gawk at him, others wearing looks of confusion or disinterest as they weaved around us. "I'll be helping out a lot with the plays later in the semester. I think you'd be a great fit."

"I am, but you've never even seen me act." I laughed as we turned the corner. I know that I should be used to it by now, but I was still just as dumbfounded by how extravagant everything was. It was hard not to compare Rosewood to my old school, especially when there's marble flooring in the halls and flat screens in every classroom. 'Imagine a life where choosing an outfit was the most you had to worry about...Yeah, I can't.'

"So? I have great intuition." he said with a nod of his head. "The fact that you helped out this morning shows that you're passionate at least." I watched as a few girls ran down the hall, no doubt late for their class.

"Thanks, I guess." I said as I stopped outside of the classroom. "And thanks for walking me ten feet. It was nice meeting you; I'll see you around?"

"Looking forward to it." he smiled with boyish charm. "Auditions for Romeo and Juliet will be next month. Maybe we can rehearse together, If you're interested of course." he offered, briefly fixing his hair before heading back the way we came.

I went to enter the classroom but was immediately yanked back into the hall. I was spun around to see Zoey standing there with her mouth hung open. "Did I just see Jake Holland? And did he just walk you to class? But most importantly, did I just see Jake Holland?" She said in one breath, pushing me to the side as she peered back around the corner. "Oh my god, that's Jake Holland and he just walked you to class."