Chapter Thirty Seven

First week of summer

Alex's Pov:

When I woke up the first thing I noticed were two arms wrapped around me. I was able to make out a Tegan and Sara poster once my vision became clear, and the fact that I wasn't in my own bed? I looked over to see a sleeping Riley beside me, dark bangs laying lazily over her face. I sighed when I remembered that we were in her room, that she asked me to stay over last night. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes, blinking away any confusion I felt. 

"Riley?" I asked once I sat up, untangling myself from her embrace. I was only to be ignored, of course, watching as she mumbled and pulled the blanket up to her chin. I smiled as I climbed out of her bed, replacing my night shirt with a fresh t-shirt and jeans. Her room really did reflect who she was, especially now that she was back in it. The color scheme was way different than mine, black with soft grays, and I swear there's even more posters since last time...

I turned my head at the sound of movement, Riley only rolling over onto her back. 'How can someone be so cute asleep yet...so intense when they were actually awake?' 

"Rye, it's already 10." I tried again as I shook her shoulder. Yeah, that did wonders.

"I'm gonna head down without you." I warned her as I mused a hand through my hair. I waited for some sort of response, but she didn't move an inch. I rolled my eyes, giving up as I slipped my jacket on and headed out into the hall. I didn't even realize I was hungry until I was hit with the familiar smell of pancakes.

"Did you girls sleep well?" Abrielle greeted me with a smile once I made it downstairs. She was already making herself busy with breakfast in the kitchen. 

"Hey, Alex!" Blake and Carl shouted in unison as they charged past me, nearly knocking me over as they wielded what looked to be handmade swords in their hands. I could hear Mr. Sanders shouting at them from the living room to settle down, but of course to no avail; the boys sprinting out the sliding glass door and into the backyard. I laughed as Abrielle shook her head in frustration.

"I apologize for their behavior, they can be quite rowdy at times." She fixed her robe as I entered the kitchen, a slight blush on her face. "They're so excited to have Riley home. It's all they've been talking about in the last few weeks, that and some new Power Ranger toy." She gave me a baffled look.

"It's completely fine. They're sweethearts." I smiled politely as I eyed the ingredients on the island counter. "Thank you again for allowing me to stay over. Do you need any help?" I offered, seeing what was no doubt set aside for eggs and hash browns. 'Damn.'

"Any friend of Riley's is welcome here, especially one so kind. I could always use a helping hand." she allowed me to join her at the counter as I pushed my sleeves up. "It's nice of you to offer, I didn't know you liked to cook." she smiled as I got started on the eggs, cracking a few into the pan on the stove. 

"One of my moms is a chef, so it's no surprise that it kind of rubbed off." I explained as I began to scramble them. "She would always have Logan and I help out at home until we could do it on our own. I guess it paid off." I could see Blake and Carl from the open window as they were playing pirates? They were using their swing set as some kind of ship.

"I'll say!" the older woman chuckled. "It will be nice to finally visit again this evening. Norman and I are both delighted." she took the now finished pancakes off the stove, flipping them over. "We're both glad that you and Riley have become so close. She could use the positivity, especially now that graduation is so soon. We know that she can be a handful at times, so I thank you."