Chapter Thirty Six

Chapter Thirty Six

We'll be okay

Riley's Pov:

"You're actually going through with it?" Halley asked as I watched the ball hit the back of the net. I wiped sweat from my forehead as I shot a confused look in her direction. She jogged over to the goal we were using to practice in, launching the ball back towards me. 

"Going through with what? It's just a dinner." I caught it with my foot before backing up a few steps. "I've had dinner with them before, no big deal." I suddenly lunged forward, easily scoring another goal on the exhausted girl in front of me.

"But that was before you made her your girlfriend?" she questioned as she passed the ball back to me, too much force being used. I rolled my eyes as it flew past me, rolling freely towards the the center. "Sorry." she laughed out, leaning forward to catch her breath. "I mean like, isn't that taking a serious step in your relationship or whatever?"

I sighed once I caught up with the runaway ball, my attention now on the group of kids who were practicing on the JV field beside ours. Now that the season was over, I guess the school was allowing them to use our field for some sort of day camp during the summer. "It's mainly for our parents, I think. They don't know anything about us."  

Yet.

When I turned around, Halley was sitting in the grass, water dripping from her chin. She poured the remainder of water on her face before lying down in the grass completely. "And you're going to actually stay with this girl? For the whole summer?" she smacked her lips.

"That's the plan." I rolled my neck in attempt to ease the tension from my muscles. "Are you giving up already? We've barely made any progress." 

"So this chick comes out of nowhere, sorts out the biggest player I've ever met in what? A month? And now you're gonna go get married and pop out a few kids?" Halley tilted her head towards me. "Bitch, it's hot as hell. Not all of us are so horny for soccer. Spare me a few minutes, please?"

I scoffed at that as I began to practice by myself, dribbling the ball around the 'obstacle course' of cones we set up. "She didn't 'sort me out.'" I stated with confidence. "I just started to fall for her." I turned on my heels once I reached the end, cutting the ball with my foot and gliding it back through again. "Kids? Please. I don't see where you're getting all of this shit from."

"It all starts with the first serving of mashed potatoes." She held up both hands to emphasize her seriousness. "Then next thing you know, you're a dad." I laughed at her dramatic tone, skidding to a halt. "I just find it to be interesting is all. I've never seen you so sprung about something that isn't soccer."

"Whatever." I furrowed my brows as I began to juggle the ball, switching between feet every few seconds.

"Show off." Halley taunted as she sat up again, brushing grass from her hair. "Why are we out here again? Was this season not enough for you?" she asked, face red and sounding dehydrated.

"I want to get some practice in before break. I won't exactly have a field so conveniently outside of my bedroom." I switched to my knees, bouncing the ball a few times. I knew that I needed to continue conditioning throughout the summer, especially if I wanted to play for any half decent college team.

"Is that Alex?!" Halley blurted out.

I immediately turned around, though I saw nothing but a few onlooking kids who were watching my routine. I was confused until I heard Halley losing her shit behind me. "Did you see how fast you were ready to run to her?!" She snorted.

I clenched my jaw as I glared back at her. Apparently it wasn't so funny when I launched the ball at her face without warning.

"Riley, what the fuck?!" She cried out as she jumped out of the way, the ball whizzing past her head. 'Goal.' I smirked, offering a lazy shrug.