Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Tell me about it

Riley's Pov:

"Street Fighter?" Alex asked as she watched me enter two more coins into the machine slot. I glanced over my shoulder to see her standing behind me. There was a curious look on her face as she took another sip of her drink.

"What about it?" I countered, raising my brow as she moved closer to the arcade machine I was at. The space between us was fairly noticeable as she fidgeted with her straw. I rolled my eyes as I turned to face the screen. "If you want to play, you might want to...I don't know...not stand five feet away."

She hesitated, but did move next to me after a few seconds. "It's not really my kind of game." she explained as she set down her cup.

"And what is? Nintendo Dogs and Just Dance?" I asked as I looked over at her. Her lips were pursed slightly as she took the free controller as her own, choosing Akuma as her character.

"More like Pokémon." She explained as I chose Ryu. "You say that I shouldn't assume so much, yet you do the exact same thing."

"Is it assuming when something is fairly obvious?" I questioned back at her. "It's not like I heard a rumor and ran with it either. You just don't strike me as the 'hardcore gamer' type." Her brows were furrowed slightly as she was most likely trying to think of something to say. After a moment she shook her head.

"Can you just start the fucking game?"

Sassy.

We must have played at least ten rounds. It was obvious this was her first time playing the game, so I decided to give her a bit of leeway. Yeah, big mistake. She picked up the controls fairly quickly, and soon enough was quite literally kicking my ass. I stood there shell shocked as she did moves I didn't even know were possible in game. She was enjoying it too, her laughter somehow making me smile in spite of how competitive I truly was.

"Who doesn't look like the type?" Alex mocked as she knocked my ass out for the hundredth time. I threw my hands up in defeat as the game ended once again in her favor, a proud smile on her face.

"Fine." I laughed, shaking my head in disbelief as we headed down the steps to the arcade. "Rub it in if it makes you feel better; I'm gonna get some air. It's a little overcrowded in here." I told her I noticed that a bus load of people were now entering the restaurant. I could tell they played for some baseball team by their tight ass uniforms.

"Yeah, it usually gets busy around this time. Do you want me to come with you?" Alex asked as she fell in step with me. I was about to question it, but saw that she looked about as uncomfortable as I was feeling. I shrugged my shoulders as I placed my sunglasses over my eyes.

She joined me again after telling her family where we'd be, the two of us deciding to sit in the outdoor dining area. Surprisingly, no one else was out here. I put my feet up on one of the empty chairs at our table, leaning back in my seat. "So, I was thinking..."

"Uh huh?" I asked as I tilted my head towards her. She was looking out towards the parking lot, the setting sun lightly illuminating her skin. There was a thoughtful glint in her eye as I studied her, her irises now a deep blue. 'She's so cute.'

"Instead of assuming, why don't we actually try to get to know each other?" She finished after a moment of pause, shifting her gaze back towards me. "Maybe then we wouldn't argue about it so much."

"What is it that you want to know?" I decided to bite.

"I don't know." She said as she visibly relaxed a little. "What's your favorite color? Favorite place? Why there's such a rumor about you to begin with?"