Chapter 22 - Burned

To you, young lady,

TYFBA

(thank you for being awesome)

It was close to four when Aunt Gracielda and Uncle Tommy came in. Uncle Tommy had aged a little--- his honey blond hair was starting to turn white but his bright smile compensated his old looks. Aunt Gracie, however, looked the same: Brown hair mixed with her warm brown eyes and a friendly face. They had always been my favorite relatives when I was younger.

“Hi, everyone!” Aunt Gracie gave Mom and me a hug and said, “it’s good to see you two.”

“You too, Auntie Gracie. How was your trip?”

A series of talks accompanied with laughter filled the house instantly. I walked into the kitchen with them and started cutting up the vegetables for dinner. Xander didn’t stay for long but I knew he would be back soon. The feeling of wanting to share, of needing a shoulder to lean on suddenly was so strong that I had to bite my lips to stop them from quivering. My hands trembled, so I stopped what I was doing. I felt missplaced in my own home. Like I didn’t belong in there. I needed someone to talk to, someone to help me through. I couldn’t talk to my Mom about it though. I needed Amanda. If I murdered someone she would be the person I’d call to help me drag the corpse to the lake. She’s my person.

“Manda,” I said relieved the moment she picked up her phone.

“Hey, Ad. Miss me already?” Her cheerful voice made me smile. Too bad it didn’t reach my heart.

“Sort of,” I teased. “So, has your mom met Teresa yet?”

“Sure. She’s everyone’s type,” Amanda answered mirthfully. “But she’s not the reason you’re calling, right? What’s up? Have you landed safely?”

I decided to continue the call upstairs. As soon as I closed my bedroom door I blurted it all out. When I told her that Xander had come back, she went ballistic.

“No shit!” She responded explicitly. “That bastard! After all these years? What did you say to him? Oh no, don’t tell me you welcomed him with open arms?”

“No, damn it. Of course not. I have more dignity than that.” Do I though? Even though back then I had hoped he’d come back I was in no way happy to see him now.

“He’s bad news, Addie.” Amanda’s voice filled with anger. “He was an ass! He left you without a word and just like that he has the nerve to come back, prancing around with his god-forsaken egotistic attitude! You get away from him fast, Addie. Guys like him are one of the reasons why we have a good use for middle fingers. Just stay away from him.”

I smiled wryly at her wrathful raves and stared at my lap in silent distress. Xander had crushed my confidence like a flower beneath his foot before. I wondered if he could do it again.

“I discovered something, Manda.” I stated trying to divert the subject. “Remember the Bugatti we saw at Haven Café? Turns out: It was Xander’s.”

“What? No way! Where did he…how did he have it?”

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask.”

“Oh my god,” Manda breathed out heavily. “Do you think he stole it?”

I shook my head in disappointment. “I don’t know. Cars like that are attention-grabbers. You don’t just drive around and brag about it to the whole world and let the authorities to see you if you’ve stolen it. Well, not if you’re smart.”

“Does he look like he could afford it now?”

“I don’t know. Well, he doesn’t really. But he looks really different. He has tattooes and piercings. He’s a little bit scary to look at, to be honest.”