CHAPTER SEVEN - "THE CIGAR" GALANTE

It was nightfall again. He was parked outside Burnham University and he had no idea why. He'd been doing this lately after his return from Mexico. He had prowled the street for three consecutive nights, as if those numerous mornings of taking chances to have a glimpse of her wasn't enough.

Why is he even wasting time for this? He had no use for the likes of someone like her anymore. Not after all he experienced in Mexico. Mexico was the right titillation for his tedious life. The years he'd spent there was a blast. So why was he here again, wanting to take a glimpse of his past?

He wasn't too far from the well-lighted gates. There's no way those guards were going to let him in without a student's ID, he damn well knew about their protocols. With anxious fingers he reached for a pack of cigarettes in the chest pocket of his gray shirt. He was down to his last one. Lighting it up, he blew a stream of smoke in the air and threw the empty, crumpled cigarette pack outside his window.

Suddenly, he felt an isatiable itch in his blood, a thirst that wouldn't be quenched until he plunged a syringe needle on his vein. The feeling was all too familiar---he had lived two years of it--- but it was unexpected. It was too soon. He inhaled a generous intake of nicotine and puffed out expertly. The short time of drug-withdrawal was already causing his hands to tremble. He clenched his teeth. He needed a distraction.

Then, as if by some divine force, a college girl passed by and eyed him interestingly. She was blond, wearing tight jeans and a low-neckline shirt that says 'Theta Sorority'.

"Nice car you got there!" she yelled but didn't stop walking. Oh yeah, everyone notices his car. It's like his lucky charm. Koenigsegg CCXR. It's a top grade street legal supercar that can achieve speed over 400 km/h. He had joined illegal car racing numerous times in Mexico. The car was truly a wonder. A great magnet for cool dudes and hot chicks. And damn, he had enough of hot chicks in Mexico. Way more hotter than his high-school girl.

Sporting a smug expression, he let out another smoke before responding to the girl.

"Wanna join me for a ride?"

Involuntarily, the girl halted and pivoted on her toes. The look on her face was a mixture of curiousity and excitement.

"Where are we going?" she asked, twirling a curl of hair on her shoulder. She was hesitant, but he knew these kind of females. He saw her bite her lip. Her gesture screams flirt! Damn right, she's the distraction, his inner self prodded. Get your ass out of here, moron. She looked pretty decent. Not a hooker. Flashing his dashing smile he threw out his cigarette, feeling a sudden thrill. His senses were acutely alive.

"Anywhere you want, babe," he murmured enticingly. "Anywhere where the fun is."

A slow grin lights up her face, and immediately she climbed inside the car. He heard her giggle.

"Somebody is expecting me in the dorm actually, but I guess a quick ride won't make him notice."

"Excellent," he said. "I know a place where we can do this...quickie stuff you meant." His eyes travelled the length of her body.

"I'm sure you do," she purred. "I'm Clarisse, by the way."

No, babe. No need for names. He didn't respond to her unspoken question. She didn't seem to care. He ignited the engine and pedalled the gas. His eyes focused on the road.

I will come back, Adelaine. I will see you soon.

-X