CHAPTER FIVE - SPELL BRAGGADOCIO

I heard giggles over the next table. I was sure those women were oggling the man. Realizing that I wasn't saying anything, Mr. Thorne offered, "I apologize for what happened yesterday. It's not fair to endure those words from your Dean."

"No," I argued immediately. "It wasn't your fault, Mr. Thorne. It was mine. Forgive me. I totally deserved it. Please, you don't need to say that." We fell silent for a moment---him watching me while I fumble with my scarf. This was really not what I had envisioned when I came here. I hardly felt or looked my best. I did not even know how he found me.

A waitress came over to take his order but he dismissed her without ordering anything. "I came here to see you, Miss Mitchell." he stated. He knows my name. Of course, he could have gotten it from the Dean.

"I know I was being disrespectful yesterday, Mr. Thorne," I started explaining. "It was a misunderstanding. You were outside my door. You're unfamiliar, and I freaked out. I am truly sorry. Please, don't get me expelled from the university."

Clearly amused, he gave me his slow smile. "I'm wasn't planning on doing that, Miss Mitchel. It's not my school. I don't have the power to expel students---only Professors, Deans do that. The Board of Directors won't have anything to do about that, too. And don't worry, I already made sure Schmith won't cross over the line."

"Oh." Talk about relief. "Thank you. Can I help you with something else, then?" He held my eyes and I was lost.

"Have dinner with me", he murmured in a low, husky voice. I blinked at him. What?

He waited patiently, his gaze never wavering. Blushing, I shook my head. "No, I'm sorry, but I can't. I have classes."

"That's a pretty lame excuse when turning down a man, Adelaine," he murmured, obviously annoyed. "Really? Classes at night?"

That tone. This man is not used of being turned down. And the way he spoke my name, it's like...a threat. Very intimidating.

"Are you married? Is there a boyfriend I should talk to?"

Wait----what? Suppose I had a boyfriend, what kind of man would want to talk to the boyfriend and ask to borrow his girl for a date? Is he in his right mind? Is he even capable of respecting a relationship?

My breath stuttered. I shook my head in disbelief. I decided to pick up my instax and scarf and stood up. "Listen, Mr. Thorne, you have my respect, I'll give you that. And I'm pleased to know that what happened yesterday was forgiven, but going to dinner with you is pretty useless since my interests don't lie on your blatant narcissistic personality. So, yeah, I'm saying no."

And with that, I left him, completely stunned. I did not have time to think. I didn't care if he is a Thorne. I felt insulted. I stormed out in the cafe, the sun's rays already beating harshly. I tucked my scarf and instax under my arm and timidly walked along the sidewalk. What an asshole.

I had approximately twenty seconds before he caught up with me on the street. I threw him an icy glare over my shoulder. He laughed. I clenched my teeth.

"Oh, I like you," he chuckled. "You're a little smart-ass, Adelaine. I love it. Girls never talked to me like that."

Can you believe him? Not only he was not offended by my little tirade, he loved it! What an irksome human. I continued to walk, ignoring him completely.

"I'll pick you up at seven tomorrow. Tomorrow is Sunday. There aren't classes on Sundays, right?"

I paused in my tracks and glared at him. "You honestly don't realize what an arrogant bastard you are, do you?"

He didn't falter. Instead, he graced me with that arrogant smile of his. "Miss Mitchell, in my experience, most arguments are caused by refusal of the other party to admit the fact that I'm right." He moved his hand, brushing a tendril of hair behind my ear. "I say this might be the best 'right' of all gut feels I had for over 28 years. I may have found my girl, this time."