CHAPTER TEN - THE SECRET LAIR

He didn't go home directly. Instead, he went to his underground pub located in Bervon. The club is already in full swing when he arrived. Instead of using the front doors like all other party-goers, he accessed the private door at the back. Zadick, one of the guards opened and greeted him.

"Goodevening, sir."

Mikhail nodded and pranced to the dark hallway leading to the VIP room. Another man, cautiously guarding the mahogany door, bowed slightly at his arrival. He opened the door for Mikhail. Gritting his teeth, he slumped heavily at the round couch. The yellow lights inside the room seemed to blur his sight.

"How did it go?" a voice asked in the corner of the room. Mikhail need not to turn around---he knew who it was. Paul. Leaning over, he rested his elbows above his knees and shoved his hands to his hair.

"I need a drink." Paul paced his way to the exclusive bar and poured a half glass of scotch. After fixing two glasses, he offered the other one to his friend and at the same, time his boss. Mikhail drank the scotch in one gulp, going straight down to his throat, and he grimaced at the burning sensation. His head throbbed and he pressed his fingers to his temples. Tilting his head back, he waited for the pain to subside. Fuck this.

"The boys didn't get him," Paul spoke after a minute. He sat opposite to Mikhail, placing an ashtray above the glass table. Lighting a cigarette, he blew out a string of smoke before adding, "The dick was...fast. Not a surprise, though. He was driving your Bugatti."

Mikhail shut his eyes tightly and clenched his fist. The asshole. He had the courage to follow him earlier with Adelaine, that's why he needed to drive to West Avenue to mislead him and he just let the youngsters handle it.

"Does Adelaine know?" Paul asked.

Mikhail inhaled sharply at the mention of her name. Adelaine. His body reacted lasvisciously by just hearing the word. Their evening ended with a kiss---it was a bone-head thing to do---but he didn't regret it. Not a single fiber of remorse was felt.

"She didn't know," Mikhail answered. "And it should stay that way. Just do your job."

Pouring another drink, Paul's face looked earnest. He knew better than anybody else how gravely serious Mikhail Thorne is when it involved Adelaine Mitchell.

"Of course, sir," Paul said dutifully. "I am keeping an eye on her. As long as she's in the school grounds she's safe from him."