Part 11

Merlin stood in front of the mirror in the bathroom, surveying his outfit. He sighed and walked back to his room, taking his shirt off as he walked back to his room.

Tonight was his date with Arthur.

He had no idea what they were doing, or where they were going. It was the begining of December, and had recently snowed, so he didn't know if it would be outside. He didn't know if it was fancy or not. Arthur could have steak for breakfest so his idea was fancy could be very different than Merlin's. The only thing Merlin knew was Arthur had randomly texted Merlin this morning saying, "dress warm." With no context, and he didn't replied to Merlin's questions, only saying he would be there at seven.

Merlin looked through his clothes again upset with his choices. He gave up, selected a t-shirt with his favorite band on it, put on a hoddie, another jacket, then went downstairs to wait for Arthur.

* * *

Arthur was having no easier time than Merlin. He had help from Morgana though. And by help, Arthur would try on outfits and Morgana would tell each one didn't work.

"well it would help if i knew where you guys were going!" Morgana complained as she criticized another outfit.

"no, im not telling anyone. You know what? i dont care. i think i look fine. besides i need to leave. its a quarter til seven." Arthur slipped on a jacket, grabbed his car keys, and left the building.

* * *

Merlin waited downstairs impatiently. He kept checking the time on his phone. it was 6:58 when he heard a car pull up. Merlin bolted from the living room to the end of the stairs. He waited til he heard a knock on the door. He walked calmly as possible and opened the door. Arthur was standing in the doorway, shoulders hunched against the cold. "hey." he said with a smile.

"hey." Merlin said back, smiling. They stood there for a few second til Giaus walked by and spoke, snapping them back to reality. "if you guys get drunk, dont call me." Both boys turned to Giaus and smiled. Arthur said a quick hello, then they both left and headed for Arthur's car.

They drove slowly through town. Merlin has no idea where they were going, not knowing much about the town. Soon they pulled into a parking lot that only had a few other cars. Arthur parked and cut the engine off. "where are we?" Merlin asked.

"oh we arent were we're going yet. We just have to walk the rest of the way. but dont worry," Arthur said, seeing Merlin's reaction. "Its not far so we wont be out in the cold for long." Arthur got out of the car and Merlin did they same. They began walking down a path through a park.

It was beautiful.

The path had only a few lamposts, but most of trees had lights in there branches. The path was cleared of snow, and occsionally stars could be seen through the clouds. Merlin was looking around when he felt something warm grab his hand. He jumped but didn't turn as he heard Arthur whisper in his ear, "look this way, we're here." Arthur released Merlin's hand, and when Merlin turned around he was good few feet away standing in front of an ice skating rink.

Merlin smirked. "I thought you said we wouldn't be outside for long?"

"Ya well, we are about to go inside to get skates... plus you can always come inside to get food and stuff." Arthur smiled sheepishly, but still held his head high, as if daring to be questioned, yet knowing he could be proved wrong. Merlin just laughed and headed inside with Arthur.

Arthur paid for skates, and soon had his strapped up. Merlin had a little trouble but was soon up and wobbling to the rink. "you know Arthur...." he said before he stepped onto the ice. "i should mention i've only been ice skating twice before."

"its okay. im not that good." Arthur stepped onto the ice and Merlin followed. Merlin was quickly able to get into a rythm. Arthur was floundering a bit though. "i thought you said you had only done this twice before."

"ya." Merlin said skating backwards in front of Arthur. "that doesn't mean i suck." Merlin spun around and slowed down, in time with Arthur. It was honestly amazing. They didn't skate fast, but not slow. it was cold out, but the effort of skating kept them warm. The rink also played good music. Never really a specific type. Just good music from every genre.

They went inside to eat when some one had requested a song. As it began playing, a tall, brown-hair guy shoved a blonde haired guy in a leather jacket and a black haired guy in a trench coat into the rink. The song was "I can't help falling in love with you" by Elvis. Merlin thought it was an odd mix, but laughed along with everyone else.

After was only seemed a few minuets, the rink annouced they were going to play one more song, but it was a couples song. Merlin and Arthur looked at each other as "Back to December" by Taylor Swift began playing. Arthur laughed and took Merlin's hand as if it were nothing. Merlin laughed too, but felt his heart would burst as he felt their fingers intertwine together. They skating around the rink, not saying a word, even though before they could barely shut up.

As the song ended, they still help hands. Once they got back inside, they took off their skates and began walking through the park. The walked closed, their arms brushing against each other. all it took was one brush of their hands and they interlocked fingers again. Merlin smiled as he leaned his head against Arthur's shoulder briefly. They reached Arthur's car and got in. They drove in silence. When they reached Merlin's house, Arthur spoke, but very quietly. "i'll walk you up to the door." Merlin just nodded.

Merlin and Arthur walked side by side. It was pitch black out and the only light sorce was a street lamp that was a little ways down the rode. Merlin stood in front of the door and turned to Arthur. "so um... thanks. this was, pretty amazing...."

"ya. i had a really good time too." Arthur answered just as quietly as Merlin did. "so, do you want to hang out again?"

"Sure." Merlin replied. "just text me when ever."

"ok. so uh... bye i guess."

"bye." Merlin watched Arthur walk down the sidewalk to his car. Merlin turned to the door and reached for his key to unlock it. He turned around with a start as he heard Arthur say, right behind him, "Merlin?"

Merlin turned. "wha-" He's cut off as Arthur kisses him. And it was a good kiss. It wasn't just a peck, but it was french. It wasn't a drunken accident but it was expected. and it wasn't lustful. It wasn't a kiss saying, "i want to bone you." It was kiss that whispered, "i love you". it was an amazing kiss the Merlin never wanted to end. He felt like the entire world should be lucky enough just to have someone on it that could kiss this magical. They broke part and Arthur continued to hold the sides of Merlin's head, and Merlin did the same to Arthur.

Arthur quietly whispered, "good night, Merlin."

"good night Arthur." Merlin breathed back.